The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Discuss issues with Sportster motorcycle tires, wheels and brakes.

Motor Stage
Dead Creek Cycles
Get Lowered
Superbrace.com

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th September 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question about front tires

I tried to have a 120/70/19 but it would not open out to the rimn and seal. Just too big for my 2.75 inch wide rime. Who know the largest tire I can fit on a standard width 19 inch harley front wheel. I have had a 100/90/19 and want the widest I can get. Will 110/80/19 fit.
Spoiled but definitely not rotten. Started life as a black 1993, 1200 Now-1218, Home ported 2009 FI heads, Andrews N6 cams, Dyna2Ki, JMC aluminum swingarm, Chainsikle custom mid forward controls, GBC inverted front end, 3 degree wide-glide trees and 5 degree raked cups. 18x3.5 fatspoke rear with 150/60 and 21x3.5 with 120/70.
Old 30th September 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

its actually 3 inches wide according to the web site.
Old 30th September 2006
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Ghugly has disabled reputation

What device or devices were used to expand the sidewalls? I've seen the nutty lowriders around here using some freakishly narrow tires on wide rims on their cars (I mean tread widths half the rim width). While this is a stupid way to achieve a really stupid looking, poor handling ride in my opinion, it's pretty common. I really don't know what devices are available for mounting bike tires, but it seems to me that what you're trying to do shouldn't be that tough.
Old 30th September 2006
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
Other Motorcycle Model: 83 xs 650 yam
Other Motorcycle Year: 83
obinella will become famous soon enoughobinella will become famous soon enoughobinella will become famous soon enoughobinella will become famous soon enoughobinella will become famous soon enoughobinella will become famous soon enough

install the tire, seat the bead on one side, squirt a shot of ether in tire and touch off with a match. standard precautions apply! keep your face, chin whiskers, etc,etc out of harms way, keep your fingers out of the damm thing also.
Old 30th September 2006
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Ghugly has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by obinella
install the tire, seat the bead on one side, squirt a shot of ether in tire and touch off with a match. standard precautions apply! keep your face, chin whiskers, etc,etc out of harms way, keep your fingers out of the damm thing also.
Can I watch?
Know Thy Hog

Old 30th September 2006
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
Other Motorcycle Model: 83 xs 650 yam
Other Motorcycle Year: 83
obinella will become famous soon enoughobinella will become famous soon enoughobinella will become famous soon enoughobinella will become famous soon enoughobinella will become famous soon enoughobinella will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghugly
Can I watch?
sure, great fun!
Old 30th September 2006
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883/1250 Stage3
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S1 White Lightning
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1300S
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
cjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nice

Ralph, here is the thread where I installed what I believe is the biggest tire you can put on a stock front rim. My rim was the stock 19" cast wheel. Hope it helps, there are pics of the installed tire and you can see how close it came to the fender.

Good luck, Chris

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...ad.php?t=26303
Old 30th September 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

If you have a 2.75 rim you should be able to mount a 120 on it. I have a 2.75/18 rim that I used to have on my bike and 120s fit it no problem, but really a 120 would like a 3" rim.

I'm running the stock 2.15 rim now and I have a Avon 110/90 19 on it that fits fine. It's really big ass. It's as wide as some 120s, and might not fit the stock fender. It makes a Dunlop GT501 100/90 19 look like a little skinny runt.
Old 30th September 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I think the problem was the 70 height coupled with the extra width. The tire was 5 inches wide and after putting it on it looked wrong and the one side would not roll out to the edge. It stayed tucked under. I ordered a 110/80/19 and that one has to fit. I used to have a avon venom up front in the same size. I hope the 140/70/16 works on my back. The 70 seems to like a wider rim.
Old 30th September 2006
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenralph
I think the problem was the 70 height coupled with the extra width. The tire was 5 inches wide and after putting it on it looked wrong and the one side would not roll out to the edge. It stayed tucked under. I ordered a 110/80/19 and that one has to fit. I used to have a avon venom up front in the same size. I hope the 140/70/16 works on my back. The 70 seems to like a wider rim.

R, how many miles did you get out of the Venom on the front? just curious cause i just bought new front/rear set Venom x.

Bad news: had to get a new front wheel bearing rightside was bad, and it won't be here till tuesday. Running the spoke wheel in the meantime.

When life throws a curve...lean into it and open the throttle

The wind, weather, and two wheels...what else do you need??

Last edited by xllent01; 30th September 2006 at 23:53..
Know Thy Hog