The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Hammer Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
hardride1955 (59), 91Sportster (52), PSEBYL (51), Aussiegirl (44), FastMag (43)
BIKE BUILDER
Licks Holiday
Energy One Clutches
S&S Cycle

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2006
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: FXR
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
Mattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the reply. You've got the aluminum one I assume. Is there a steel counterpart that I could get from HD? I've heard ppl on here complain about the aluminum ones and quality issues they've had with them wearing too quickly and whatnot.
Old 13th October 2006
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
chipdog4 is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember someone a while back getting a steel 29 tooth from harley for around $60? That wouldn't be bad at all.

Here's a website with a Pulley listed for ALL SPORTSTERS
http://www.billetusa.com/evoprodt.html#
EV-30TALSP 30 tooth aluminum pulley - for all Sportster
Old 14th October 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Stratwhak is on a distinguished roadStratwhak is on a distinguished road

I got the 30t on Wednesday, piece of cake. The belt was plenty long enough, I slipped the pulley on with the rear wheel still on the bike. The rpms dropped about 500 at 70mph and taking off in first was still smooth and quick. Thank you all for your helpful responses.
Old 14th October 2006
Flat Track Champion

4banger has disabled reputation
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratwhak
I got the 30t on Wednesday, piece of cake. The belt was plenty long enough, I slipped the pulley on with the rear wheel still on the bike. The rpms dropped about 500 at 70mph and taking off in first was still smooth and quick. Thank you all for your helpful responses.
Glad everything worked out good for you. I really like having a 30t when I'm flying on the interstate.
Old 20th October 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xb9r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Ericxb9r is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I put a smaller sprocket set on my Firebolt

I have a 2005 Firebolt 900. I want to make an acceleration improvment.I'm thinking quite a few teeth less. My question is are there sprockets available and how many teeth should I subtract.
Know Thy Hog

Old 6th July 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: IRON
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
mrteegass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2009 883 iron

can anyone help me im trying to replace my front belt sprocket to 30T is the nut 1 7/8 left or right hand thread its difficult to came loose.please help thank you guys !!!!!:
Old 6th July 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportsters
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Oldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the rough
Default Secondary Sprocket Nut

Mr. TeeGass,

Like the second posting in this thread says, it is a "reverse" or Left Hand threaded nut. It is installed with Loctite, so you may have to lean on it.

Turn it clockwise to remove it and counter-clockwise to install it.
Old 6th July 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
FoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to behold

Mine was a huge PITA to get off; took me two days. I made a sprocket locker to hold the sprocket tight while I whaled on the nut. They fastened it on with red Loctite and I started to doubt it was reverse threaded a couple of times when I couldn't get it to shift. Eventually I got it to move by standing on the 30" tommy bar on the socket I was using.

If there is any chance whatsoever you might take it off again then don't use red Loctite on it, use blue.

I had an '05 1200R.
Old 19th December 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: buell x1 lightning
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
buelldog is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi can you tell me the part number for the 27 tooth sprocket OR which year Sporty they were fitted to

as i want to put US gearing on my Buell
but cant find any 27T pulleys over here in the UK
thanks for any help
Old 19th December 2010
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R75/6
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
devilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura aboutdevilshound has a spectacular aura about

Per an '01 X1 Parts Catalog, 40285-91B is listed as a sprocket kit (bolts, spacer, seals, ect) and 40288-95 is just the sprocket for a 27T.

Hope that helps,
-DH

Last edited by devilshound; 19th December 2010 at 08:31.. Reason: spelling
Know Thy Hog