The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
Hammer Performance
Lowbrow Customs
Biltwell
Figure Machine

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2006
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1212 from 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
serrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 90% done with 1212

Well after 2 days I am 90% done with my conversion.

I've spent a long time asking questions, and learning and this has all been a long process. I'm hoping things fire up well. I only have to install the carb support bracket, change some fluids, and the exhaust. My fingers are a bit bruised.

the GREAT thing about this conversion was the kit. the only bad thing about it was that the COMETIC gaskets that came with the NRHS 1212 kit did not give a great inventory of what was in there. I bought extras to be sure as i would not be able to identify them until i tore into it all. then i would be SOL. But I opted for some used jugs and heads from a forum member. I had a valve job on the heads, and they repleaced a piece here or there to freshen them up (~$100). I also got the 1212 $499 deal. I hope to sell the heads and cylinders for something to offset a bit of these initial costs, but the bills are already paid so that'd be just more toy money.

All in all, the most annoyingthing about this process (which is not even done yet) is the tear down and rebuild of all the OTHER stuff. Takes a long time to get all this stuff off when you only want to swap some parts. I'm also pretty unorganized too so that does not make it easy. Need to re-inventory all my tools.

I'll keep you posted. I do not forsee a lot of leaks, and I think I did a pretty clean job. cross your fingers for me.

TY
Old 2nd October 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

lagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the rough

cool, caint wait to hear your results.
Old 2nd October 2006
The XL Forum Host

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1250 Stage 2
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
bplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant future

Sounds great. I hope she starts right up for ya!

XLF on FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/XLFORUM

AMA #961454
MY GALLERY

02 883 > NRHS 1250 Stage 2 - Nasty Nancy
Old 2nd October 2006

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
GOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrow
I've spent a long time asking questions...
I for one am glad you did. I'm prep'ing for my conversion amd doing research. While I'm not going with the NRHS kit, I still found a lot of discussion in some of your threads very informative and picked up a couple good tips.

As for the Cometic gasket kit, that is one question I was planning to ask so I'll ask here since you mentioned it. What all comes in the kit? Gaskets I know I'm going to need but not sure if they are included are: Exhaust, Intake, and Carb.
Old 2nd October 2006
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sold
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
ed_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of light

Since I used the Cometic kit too I'll tell ya it is a complete top end kit including intake manifold gaskets. However the profile(?) of their rubber rocker gaskets is different from the HD gaskets. It's squared off as opposed to rounded if looked at on edge. Since I was paranoid about the extra racket after converision I pulled the rockers twice to check oil flow and manged to pinch the gaskets even though I was very careful. I then re-used the HD ones and I believe due to their shape they did not leak. All other Cometic gaskets worked fine. If I did this again I'd get HD rubber rocker cover gaskets before even starting.
Well ... that explains a lot.
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd October 2006

lagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the rough

is it running yet???
Old 3rd October 2006
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1212 from 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
serrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, she's running. I actually did a real dumb thing. Bolted her up without a middle rocker gasket. Needless to say she leaked. easy fix.

well there are other issues however that I will read up on - so as not to ask stupid questions. lets just say it has to do with the cometic riveted head gasket.

made a good 10 mile run bringing her home. heat seemed okay. we'll see. I'm happy with the pickup.
Old 3rd October 2006
The XL Forum Host

bplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant future

Yes, you need to remove the rivet on sparkplug side if that is what you are alluding to.
Old 3rd October 2006

yeah, rivets got left on mine. still there and no problem cause it only pinched the edge
Old 3rd October 2006
The XL Forum Host

You should remove the rivets on the sparkplug side but if it is not causing a problem or leak then it is problely okay to leave them alone.

I had to remove the rivets on mine.
Know Thy Hog