The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Paying Taxes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Paying Taxes Got questions, tips or advice???

Members Birthdays
oldsporty1 (64), BIRD DOG (58), paris15 (56), thesmithiz (56), pajimmyjoe (55), chuckam (51), steve w (45), le_strike (38), Rubicon (32), r3db3ard3d (26)
Lowbrow Customs
Energy One Clutches
Motor Stage
BIKE BUILDER

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th October 2006
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
army_navy is on a distinguished roadarmy_navy is on a distinguished roadarmy_navy is on a distinguished road
Default Difference between stock or SE a/c housing?

Is their a difference between a stock housing, or a SE housing?
If I put a K&N hi-flo filter in the stock ham can, will that be sufficient?
Or, does the SE box actually flow more air?
Have new pipes on, getting ready to do the a/c and carb. Thanks.
Old 7th October 2006
mostly harmless.. (sssm)

gronk62 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by army_navy
Is their a difference between a stock housing, or a SE housing?
Yes
Quote:
If I put a K&N hi-flo filter in the stock ham can, will that be sufficient?
"Sufficient", Yes. Optimal, No.
Quote:
Or, does the SE box actually flow more air?
Yes
Old 7th October 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200RSC Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: DT400B
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 76
Other Motorcycle Model: 04-FZ6, 06-350 Wolverine,
Kentucky has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gronk62
Yes

"Sufficient", Yes. Optimal, No.

Yes
I would agree with one exception, the SE unit has no ram air where the fctory unit does. The SE unit simply draws air from the 360 degree area behind it wereas the factory unit allows air to be stuffed into the filter area. I took the backing for the factory unit and drill about fifteen 1/2 inch holes in it so not only is the air stuffed into the filter chamber, it's blowing on the right side of the juggs to and this you can feel at speed.
Old 7th October 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
mike_winslow has disabled reputation

I keep hearing this opinion from Indies, but..

The opening for air into the carb doesnt increase does it?

Has anyone done a quantitative test , like dyno with stock filter cover versus one with a bigger opening, or holes etc?
Old 7th October 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
dagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the rough

The stock Harley-Davidson air filter flows 130 CFM at 10”, while the Stage 1 Screaming Eagle flows 160 CFM at 10”. That's about a 25% increase in flow.

The stock cleaner's ONLY opening is that small, forward facing hole in the backing plate/case. I don't know if that really qualifies as "ram" air. The SE filter uses the same cover, but the backing plate doesn't mate with the cover, it is opened all the way around.
Know Thy Hog

Old 7th October 2006
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Ultra Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
gusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagsportster
The stock Harley-Davidson air filter flows 130 CFM at 10ö, while the Stage 1 Screaming Eagle flows 160 CFM at 10ö. That's about a 25% increase in flow.

The stock cleaner's ONLY opening is that small, forward facing hole in the backing plate/case. I don't know if that really qualifies as "ram" air. The SE filter uses the same cover, but the backing plate doesn't mate with the cover, it is opened all the way around.

He has an '02, you have an '06.
Different style of A/C's. '02 doesn't have that small open facing hole.

I did replace my stock '02 A/C with the SE A/C when I did the Stage 1. Big difference, a very noticeable increase in power with only SE A/C, SE mufflers and rejet. Money well spent.
Old 7th October 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

If ram air actually did anything sufficient, every car, truck or bike would have a ram air design.

Sure, some performance cars over the years used the design, more to try and get denser COLDer air from outside the hood than the warmer air surrounding the motor, but today they've found that isn't even really enough and when they seriously want to make power they also intercool in (run the air through a cooler first).

Ram air is just not all it is cracked up to be.

I will say this though, the stock housing is a lot quieter than the SE, and KYs method might yield better flow with less noise.

On the flip side, I could be wrong, but I THINK The breather tubes on the SE do a better job of getting oil into the intake where it can be drawn and burned as opposed to letting it drip onto the element.

ME, I'm glad I went with the SE AC.

Kev
Old 7th October 2006
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
army_navy is on a distinguished roadarmy_navy is on a distinguished roadarmy_navy is on a distinguished road

Good discussion and info. I went out and took my a/c cover off. The "ports" where air flows thru the backplate have an area almost three times the area of the throat of the carb. (roughly 5.2 vs 1.8 sq in).
So, it seems to me, the can will allow enough air flow, and any resultant air flow gains would probably rest mostly on the less restrictive K&N.

Thoughts?
Old 7th October 2006
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883 Custom
typerighter is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Good discussion and info. I went out and took my a/c cover off. The "ports" where air flows thru the backplate have an area almost three times the area of the throat of the carb. (roughly 5.2 vs 1.8 sq in).
So, it seems to me, the can will allow enough air flow, and any resultant air flow gains would probably rest mostly on the less restrictive K&N.

Thoughts?
Good point. I wonder if a K&N in a stock A/C is better than a SE A/C with the SE filter. (If I remember, K&N doesn't make a filter for the SE A/C.)
Old 7th October 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

05low has disabled reputation

There is a sufficient difference with the se ac. More air can enter due to the abscence of a enclosed back. But personally I would not waste my money on the SE unit they are crap. For the money you spend on that I would buy a big sucker or the air cleaner from NRHS.
2006 Softail Standard (efi), black, vance and hines shortshots, S.E air cleaner with k&N filter, S.E re-map, chrome primary, 36 inch wide drag bars with 6 inch straight risers. Flame grips and pegs, and various other chrome add ons
Know Thy Hog