The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA Motors  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > XR Sportster Motorcycle Talk - XR750, XR1000, XR1200
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

XR Sportster Motorcycle Talk - XR750, XR1000, XR1200 For XR Sportsters: XR750, XR1000, XR1200

Members Birthdays
Sky Smith Insurance
DK Customs
Biltwell
Motor Stage

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th December 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XR1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Rad 1200R is on a distinguished roadRad 1200R is on a distinguished roadRad 1200R is on a distinguished road
Default My Christmas Present - XR1200 - YEAH !!

My first Harley, and I'm lovin' it so far. Getting my post count up so I can post photos. Stay tuned....
XR1200
KTM 950 Adventure
Ducati E900 Elefant
KTM 640 LC4
Old 30th December 2008
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: roadking classic
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
bud095 has disabled reputation

i think you only need 5 posts for that.
Old 30th December 2008
Biker

Rad 1200R is on a distinguished roadRad 1200R is on a distinguished roadRad 1200R is on a distinguished road

It's new and orange, but Noooooooo, it's not another KTM.

Santa came early to my house...............

I took a drive up to Victorville last Sunday, Cajon Pass and the surrounding mountains had a lot of snow.

Continued to see a friend at the local shop up there, where he's General Manager.

My friend Dave, I used to roadrace with him at Willow Springs and haven't seen him for a long time, was great to see him....he used to be GM at San Diego Harley.

I saw this new XR1200 on the floor............

And decided since it was orange, I just had to have one....... :bounce:

Actually, I ordered one of 750 made for the US the first round, from a shop in Las Vegas. They told me it would be in January or February, so I was thinking maybe March. Well, much to my surprise I got a call a week later, saying my bike just came off the truck in Vegas. I ordered it in Vegas because I was told it might be months before the California models would be approved. I delayed picking the bike up in Vegas a week, and during that week, one of Dave's sales guys from Victorville Harley called me and said they had a CA bike on the floor and the guy who ordered it bailed on the deal, so I figured better to buy from my friend's shop and also buy a CA bike so I wouldn't have to deal with Nevada registered bike.

Finally Harley has built a bike that has some good performance and handling characteristics and 90 HP. I also got a full 7 year warranty on it.

Here's a few more from when I had it on display at my house and my friend's came over for bike night.

Now I'm dieing to get it out on the twisties, the bike is supposed to work pretty good. BTW, it has Dunlop Qualifiers on it, and the rear is a 180......same size as most sportbikes. Now I can't wait to smoke some sportbikes on this thing :lol:

UPDATE:
First actual ride today on my new toy.......Spaugh showed up on his Ducati 800 Monster

Then Chief Gunner on his V-Max

We headed out 94 east at a brisk pace, but I had to keep the XR below 4000rpm max for the first 50 miles of break-in, that was painful......70mph max.

When we reached Cameron Corners, it was over 50 miles so I could open her up to 5000rpm max...85mph.

Brad headed home at Pine Valley, while Chief and I stopped in Pine Valley where it was pretty damn cold, Major's Cafe to warm up a bit.

We ran into another guy named Tony on his SR500 single, slightly modified from stock. I asked him, "Isn't it too cold to be out riding?" :wink:

After Major's, we took Japatul Valley to Lyon's Valley.......now, being able to open the XR up to 85mph, I got to feel her out a little more......bike handles nicely, no wobbles, very stable, nice transitions from corner to corner, and smoothe at 85.

Then we got to the tight section on Lyon's Valley, and I was still impressed by the HD's handling.

Stopped at Ride Orange's house to say hi. He was working on his new "slipper clutch" on his KTM550 (built motor).......my friends laugh at me when I lay my KTM's down to drag them under a gate, but RO lays his down in the driveway to work on it !

I'm not the only one with a new Christmas toy, Rob's daughter got a nice, shiny new Quad. Judging by her grin, I think she's happy with it.....

A nice, little, chilly 120 mile ride. So far, I'm really happy with the HD - XR1200. After 500 miles, I get to open her up all the way........can't wait !!
Old 30th December 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

EXCELLENT REPORT!

I stopped at the Victorville Harley dealer years ago when I was riding Route 66... they put out a nice lunch spread for us that day...
Old 30th December 2008
Biker

LINK HERE to another little weekend write-up.
Know Thy Hog

Old 30th December 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: SPORTSTER "old boy"
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: SPORTSTER CR (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GSF 650 Bandit
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
beuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond repute

Nice report !!!
Be patient before exploiting completly your new toy !!!
Old 30th December 2008
Greasemonkey

Other Motorcycle Model: Road King
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Doug Mackenzie is on a distinguished roadDoug Mackenzie is on a distinguished road

Fun pics.
It's great to be a kid at Christmas and get the toy you really wanted.
Old 30th December 2008
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Year: 09
Sportster/Buell Model #2: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 74
hawk mechanic is just really nicehawk mechanic is just really nicehawk mechanic is just really nicehawk mechanic is just really nicehawk mechanic is just really nicehawk mechanic is just really nicehawk mechanic is just really nicehawk mechanic is just really nicehawk mechanic is just really nicehawk mechanic is just really nicehawk mechanic is just really nice

Congrats on the new toy. I hope you enjoy it.

Joe
Old 30th December 2008
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
tensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of light

excellent write up !!! now i think i want to see one badly. at first i was na that looks cheesy i hate it. then i kept hearing things and thought hmm maybe it is nice.
now im convinced !!! i am a bit short so (5-10 30 inch inseam ) i wonder if it would feel comfortable
Old 30th December 2008
Master Mechanic

Other Motorcycle Model: Honda XR650L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
XR1200Sportster is on a distinguished roadXR1200Sportster is on a distinguished roadXR1200Sportster is on a distinguished roadXR1200Sportster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i am a bit short so (5-10 30 inch inseam ) i wonder if it would feel comfortable
Im 5'9 brother and just came back from a quick 30mile jaunt (its cold here). Its very comfortable