The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
RYCA Motors
DK Customs
Lowbrow Customs
Get Lowered

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st December 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna Low Rider
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
TimberwolfZ28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Your latest FNG

Hey all. Just bought a 1985 XL. Doing lots of research and google kept leading me back here. Finally XLforum had enough and told me I couldn't look for free no more

So here I am, and here it is:

Or at least that's how it WAS... Lots of parts flying off and I am making a lit of things to sell, so holler if you need anything (wheels, tires, fenders, swing arm, front end, bars, controls, mids, plus a ton of dyna and triumph parts, engine, frames, etc)

Here's how it sits as of tonight:

Hope you all don't mind if I resurrect an old topic or two to ask questions. I was already browing the primary removal topic from a month or so back... now off to find info on engine removal. That rear trans/motor mount has me scratching my head a bit.

Bummer about the picture thing. I'd like you guys to see what I was doing, and I always like to see others projects too. And I refuse to mess with photobucket or the like because they are bandwidth limted and I have my own server. oh well..
Old 31st December 2008
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

5 and you can post pics, not 15

and welcome from Wisconsin
thank god for darwin
Old 31st December 2008
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 66
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 67 XLH, 63 XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 67
Other Motorcycle Model: FXRT
Other Motorcycle Year: 91
66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about

The rear mount is no biggie. Just unbolt it, and lift the mill out from the right side, kind tilting it to clear the sump. '85 was the last ironhead. It has an alternator built into the clutch shell, same as 4 speed EVO XLs.

I think they have a sticky or a thread on posting pics. I thought I posted pics after only 4 posts, but I could be wrong. Maybe in the FAQs?

Anyways welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will find lot's of answers to any questions here!
Old 31st December 2008
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xr1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS Heavy Mods
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHRS Road King Custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
cybrdyke has a spectacular aura aboutcybrdyke has a spectacular aura aboutcybrdyke has a spectacular aura aboutcybrdyke has a spectacular aura aboutcybrdyke has a spectacular aura aboutcybrdyke has a spectacular aura aboutcybrdyke has a spectacular aura aboutcybrdyke has a spectacular aura aboutcybrdyke has a spectacular aura aboutcybrdyke has a spectacular aura aboutcybrdyke has a spectacular aura about

Twolf, Welcome from Cleveland. You should be able to post pics after 5 or 6 posts, so post away. Also, check the sticky's at the Ironhead main page for tons of topics that will probably be useful to you. the guys here are super knowledgeable and very helpful.
Old 31st December 2008
Senior Master Bolter Oner

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome from a rubbermount!
Know Thy Hog

Old 31st December 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 81 sporty
boilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura about

You can just lay the bike over on its left side (Primary) un bolt everything Lift frame off of motor lot easier on the Back especially if you work by yourself
Old 31st December 2008
Biker

good tips so far! Keep them coming!

I'm from Southern Michigan (Battle Creek) by the way...
Old 31st December 2008
Biker

As far as the rear mount goes, it looks like there about 8 bolts, with a few coming from inside the primary... is that the case? there's 4 going straight front to back, two into the top of the trans, and then it appears maybe two more going into the primary area.

Also, I pulled all the bolts from the primary cover and it doesn't seem to want to budge. I go the front to pop free from the gasket sauce, but the rear is tight. I pulled the adjuster plug from the clutch area, and didn't see anything that would be hanging it up.

I read about actuating the clutch and it would pop free... is that the case? What's the bolt coming down from inside the cover with a lock nut on it?
Old 31st December 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 81 sporty
boilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura about

The "bolts" coming out of the case are studs and there should be 3 Studs
Old 31st December 2008
Biker

ok, edited the original post to include pics
Know Thy Hog