The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Chopper & Bobber Talk
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Chopper & Bobber Talk Talk about your Sportster motorcycle chopper or bobber!!.

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
DK Customs
Lowbrow Customs
Get Lowered

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDXL4Life View Post
I just built and installed a right side behind the leg jockey shifter, and I don't ever see returning to a standard shift, rights was nice because i didn't have to fab a foot clutch and the only drawback is i can't race anyone but other than that it is fantastic.
Pics please!!!!!

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 5th January 2009
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
HDXL4Life is on a distinguished roadHDXL4Life is on a distinguished roadHDXL4Life is on a distinguished road
Default working on it

I will hopefully have pics tomorrow or at least sometime this week, and will dedicate a thread to it so i can get opinions, and not hijack this one, but when i do i will put a link to it in here.

TRUE TILL DEATH...PERFECT AFTER LIFE...
Old 6th January 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Kustom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Coxbow is a splendid one to beholdCoxbow is a splendid one to beholdCoxbow is a splendid one to beholdCoxbow is a splendid one to beholdCoxbow is a splendid one to beholdCoxbow is a splendid one to beholdCoxbow is a splendid one to beholdCoxbow is a splendid one to beholdCoxbow is a splendid one to beholdCoxbow is a splendid one to beholdCoxbow is a splendid one to behold

Folkie a client for you...

edit: gone !

HORN BROKEN WATCH FOR FINGER...
Old 6th January 2009
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Oli1200 is on a distinguished roadOli1200 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxbow View Post
I like the idea of a jockey shift especialy for the lack of commands on the bars, but both formulas have a problem, with the clutch on the foot the problem is when you have to stop at a traffic light up hill !!

With the clutch on the stick you have both feet on the ground and no problems with hill stops, but you have one hand of the bars way longer... (plus you have to put the stick in front of you instead of having a choice)

edit: I'm planing on relocating the front brake command (front and back brake with the right foot)

Stopping on a hill can be tricky but again the more you do it and the more used to the feel of the clutch you get, it's not a big deal. To stop from rolling backward on a hill you just find that little friction zone before engagement with the clutch and that keeps you from rolling back. When it's time to go you throttle it and engage the clutch fully by lifting your foot up. When I come to a stop sign or a red light I don't usually put it in neutral first before stopping. I put it in 1st and stop with my right leg keeping the clutch disengaged until take off. Same thing on a hill type situation.

This is really turning into a scientific discussion.

Old 6th January 2009
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
scotty-j has a spectacular aura aboutscotty-j has a spectacular aura aboutscotty-j has a spectacular aura aboutscotty-j has a spectacular aura aboutscotty-j has a spectacular aura aboutscotty-j has a spectacular aura aboutscotty-j has a spectacular aura aboutscotty-j has a spectacular aura aboutscotty-j has a spectacular aura aboutscotty-j has a spectacular aura about

Oli1200 that scoot is wicked looking....old skewl kewl
Know Thy Hog

Old 6th January 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Kustom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Coxbow is a splendid one to beholdCoxbow is a splendid one to beholdCoxbow is a splendid one to beholdCoxbow is a splendid one to beholdCoxbow is a splendid one to beholdCoxbow is a splendid one to beholdCoxbow is a splendid one to beholdCoxbow is a splendid one to beholdCoxbow is a splendid one to beholdCoxbow is a splendid one to beholdCoxbow is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli1200 View Post

Well I guess I'll get used to it eventually !

I see you've put your contact key near the shift, but I don't see any start button there nor on your bars !
Old 6th January 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell M2 Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000 - HT Chopper
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley FXRS
Other Motorcycle Year: 1985
oldmule is on a distinguished roadoldmule is on a distinguished roadoldmule is on a distinguished roadoldmule is on a distinguished roadoldmule is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli1200 View Post
This is really turning into a scientific discussion.
Nice scoot.
Did you leave the clutch cable hang on the pedal side? Can't see it in the pic. I have seen about 75% of them hanging and the rest solid mounted some way.
Old 6th January 2009
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Oli1200 is on a distinguished roadOli1200 is on a distinguished road

Mine is just the Labriola setup. Here's a better pic:

Here's a video I took of me dicking around in a parking lot playing with my camera:

Old 6th January 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell M2 Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000 - HT Chopper
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley FXRS
Other Motorcycle Year: 1985
oldmule is on a distinguished roadoldmule is on a distinguished roadoldmule is on a distinguished roadoldmule is on a distinguished roadoldmule is on a distinguished road

Very cool.
Nice clean and simple setup. From the vid, it looks like the letoff isn't too bad either. I'm starting on changing the rake tonight and will do the jockey when I get that done.
Thanks
Old 6th January 2009
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R 90+HP
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2276cc VW sandrail
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
misterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of light

If you are just wanting to clean up your bars have you considered the electric shiter from Pingel along with a foot clutch. Another idea would be a hydraulic clutch connected in with the rear brake so the pedal operates both rear brake and the clutch.
04 1200R 90+HP/10.5-1 SE pistons/.536 cams/Heads by MR T/mikuni HSR 42 w/25 pilot, 96 needle, 170 main/TC88A ignition w turbotas mod 33 map pos.4/ Supertrapp 2-1 w 23 disks/ 28T FRONT PULLEY /NRHS Hurricane A/C & adj. pushrods /progressive 440 shocks & fork springs w/10 OZ SE fork oil
Know Thy Hog