The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
stevervp, philvet (71), outlawreb (59), rabes56 (58), Bigmatt (56), Beaker666 (50), hippiemwc (50), wumm883c (48), 2wheeltodd (47), israel (42), Stitch (37), Dekooy (31), Ameri-Deutsch (30)
Bison Motorsports
Burly
RYCA Motors
Motor Stage

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2009
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N-Traded :(
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Fat Bob
Other Motorcycle Year: 09
el jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami View Post
I have tried this at two different locations, if you finance the sporty you will not be able to take advantage of this offer. All will be tacked on the backend of total price. Example, the rocker c I want costs 20,000 giving them my 2008 xl883c will cost me 31,000 after 84 months. I hope there will be change in the new administration. I understand dealers need to make a profit but let us all downsize and work together so we can survive and ride together in extreme times.
I think that's just your dealers' spin on it. One of the dealers I talked to said that you had to buy your Sportster within the last 12 months. I think that's just their way of ensuring they get very low-mileage bikes. None of the other four dealers I spoke with said anything like that. In fact, the closest dealer to me was pretty much gonna take my bike without going over it. The one I ultimately did the deal with went over it pretty thoroughly, but took it. They said nothing about the dent in my rear fender or the fact that I had 14K miles on the tires.
As far as the financing, I think that's another way of saving your dealer headaches they don't feel like dealing with. My Sporty was financed, but I was getting back more than I owed on it. The extra money was put towards my Fat Bob.
Old 5th January 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
cgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to all

Patriot Guard NY Region 2
SAL SQN 366 Honor Guard Color Guard
Old 5th January 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C Pewter Pearl (gone)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: SuperGlide Custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Thornhammer is on a distinguished roadThornhammer is on a distinguished roadThornhammer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by el jinete fantasma View Post
As far as the financing, I think that's another way of saving your dealer headaches they don't feel like dealing with. My Sporty was financed, but I was getting back more than I owed on it. The extra money was put towards my Fat Bob.
Okay, I'm getting confused. I'm not a financial master, you seem to have gone roughly the same route I'm taking.

I'm looking at a Dyna Super Glide Custom. I've got an '08 883C, financed. We put down roughly half of the cost of the motorcycle at purchase.

Wouldn't they just roll the difference into the existing financing?
Old 5th January 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 (traded)
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC Super Glide
Gary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by el jinete fantasma View Post
It doesn't have to be stock. I had a Stage 1, different seat and shocks, and no one said anything when I traded mine. Hell, I even had a dent on my rear fender!
And my dealer got semi-pissed that I took most of my goodies off before I brought the bike in for trade. I guess he figured all those extras would make it easier for him to unload.
Old 5th January 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 (traded)
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC Super Glide
Gary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami View Post
I have tried this at two different locations, if you finance the sporty you will not be able to take advantage of this offer.
If you financed (or finance) the Sporty and have no equity at the time of trade, you're screwed. But you can take advantage of this offer.

I financed my Sportster two years ago and I had quite a bit of equity in it based on full MSRP trade-in, enough to pay off the loan and make a substantial down payment on the FXDC.
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th January 2009
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xr1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS Heavy Mods
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHRS Road King Custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
cybrdyke has a spectacular aura aboutcybrdyke has a spectacular aura aboutcybrdyke has a spectacular aura aboutcybrdyke has a spectacular aura aboutcybrdyke has a spectacular aura aboutcybrdyke has a spectacular aura aboutcybrdyke has a spectacular aura aboutcybrdyke has a spectacular aura aboutcybrdyke has a spectacular aura aboutcybrdyke has a spectacular aura aboutcybrdyke has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary7 View Post
If you financed (or finance) the Sporty and have no equity at the time of trade, you're screwed.
OK, so I'm really stoopid, so go slow and use little words.....
If you have no equity, you're screwed? But you're turning in a used bike for a few thousand over KBB toward a new (yes, more expensive) bike. So you use the money to pay the balance of the note and the rest to put down on the BT, right? How is that being screwed?
Now, if you are still upside down on the sporty, with negative equity, then, yes...I can see that as a problem. Am I missing something??
Old 5th January 2009
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N-Traded :(
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Fat Bob
Other Motorcycle Year: 09
el jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornhammer View Post
Wouldn't they just roll the difference into the existing financing?
Do you mean if you traded a bike you owed more than MSRP on? I imagine they would. I don't see how it would make any difference to them. They still get your money in the end. I owed less than MSRP on mine, so the difference went toward a down-payment. Several years ago I bought a new car I grew to hate after a year. I was substantially upside-down on the loan, but I didn't care. I traded it in on a car I did love. They just tacked the difference onto the loan, no sweat on them (but plenty on me).
Old 5th January 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

Quote:
All you people are now hot on the BIG "T"?? I thought you bought the Sportster because it's what you wanted. I did.
Evidently, plenty of people feel the Fat Bob is worth the extra money. It seems to be a
lot more comfortable.
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Old 5th January 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda SL70
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
black_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enough

Every dealership I've been to is already flooded with used two year old Sportys that they want to sell for almost as much as a new one. So aren't they gonna want to sell a one year old Sporty for new bike price? I'ts actually cheaper to buy a new bike than a couple year old one by the time you figure the difference in the intrest rates... What are they gonna do with all these bikes, melt them down and make Big Twins out of em?
Old 5th January 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda SL70
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
black_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLXR View Post
Evidently, plenty of people feel the Fat Bob is worth the extra money. It seems to be a
lot more comfortable.
I rode one at an open house... I loved the power, the six speed, but all in all, it didn't ride or sit any better (for me) than my 1200C... but still waaaay better than a plain ol Superglide.
Know Thy Hog