The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
Biltwell
NRHS Performance Long 2
Superbrace
Energy One Clutches

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 07
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 08
Atomic Punk is on a distinguished roadAtomic Punk is on a distinguished roadAtomic Punk is on a distinguished road
Default Foolin' your O2 Sensors

Factory Air Fuel Ratio is set at 14.7:1, thanks to the EPA. I would like my bike to run a little richer, but don't wanna drop big bucks for a fuel management system. Was looking into Xieds and thinking about going that way , but then I noticed a DIY page on Nightrider web site where you could fool your O2 sensors into the 14.2:1 range with less than $10 worth of parts from a electronics store. Anyone tried to make your own Power Divider? Did it work? Thanks
Old 5th January 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
FoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to behold

A mate did this for another bike and it worked fine. He's a bit ham-fisted and made a mess of the O2 lead by cutting into it and soldering a resistor in place so he ended up buying a Xied-type lead anyway.

So, yes, it does work but you might find buying a lead more convenient.

Fox
Old 5th January 2009
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
ColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the resistors that are the trouble...it's finding the connectors that seems to be the problem.
Old 5th January 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 (traded)
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC Super Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Gary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the rough

Just spend the $69.95 and buy his 02 IEDs. It's a lot easier than trying to build your own, and they do work.
Old 5th January 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
FrankBlack is just really niceFrankBlack is just really niceFrankBlack is just really niceFrankBlack is just really niceFrankBlack is just really niceFrankBlack is just really niceFrankBlack is just really niceFrankBlack is just really niceFrankBlack is just really niceFrankBlack is just really niceFrankBlack is just really nice
Question

What A/F ratio do you get with those leads?
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th January 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 (traded)
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC Super Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Gary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBlack View Post
What A/F ratio do you get with those leads?
With the $69.95 ones (02 IED) you're going to get about 14.2, which is really ideal for improved performance/cooling and fuel economy.

Once I get my FXDC broken in good, I'm going to put a set on it. I can already tell she's not happy running so lean (even though the 09s are running a little richer than 14.7 from the factory).
Old 9th May 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL1200C
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
OilBurner has disabled reputation

I just did this mod as found on nightrider.com/biketech/hd2007HD_nbo2_volt_divide.htm. For the $5 in parts from FRY's and a little time I saved alot of $$$ and acheived the same results. I cut the wires coming frim the sensor to install the 10kohm and 20kohm resisters and put heat shrink over it all. you cant even see that it was modified...

the results for my engine is that it runs alot smoother at idle and quieter overall (lower pitch exhaust I think best describes it) with more power that seemed to be a little more responsive to throttle movement. I lost about 1-1/2 mpg and the temperature went down ~5-10 degrees

Well worth it for the $5 investment