The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sporster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Members Birthdays
PlanB, Cuco6924 (68), 1200sporty (57), iron68 (43), LifesHarlequin (30), mattosm (29)
Licks Holiday
Lowbrow Customs
RYCA Motors
S&S Cycle

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th October 2006
Know It All

drhooligan has disabled reputation
Default 497 vs. 536 with stage 2 883 heads.

I have an 05 1200 conversion using the SE reverse domes and SE jugs. Currently running the stock 883 heads with bolt in ..497 cams. Exhaust is the SE II but may opt for a Thunderheader later. I will also be upgrading to a Twin Tech Ignition module.

My 883 heads will soon be removed and on their way to NRHS for a Stage 2 job. The next consideration is cams. Should I continue to run the .497s or replace with the .536s? A friend of mine has the .536 new in the box that I can have very inexpensively. Any suggestions? Thanks for input.
Old 16th October 2006
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant future

At Stage 2 the heads can definitely take advantage of the additional lift of the .536's. High lift flow increases dramatically with port work and bigger valves.

The .536's will work best with a little more compression than the 497's.

Both grinds have a fair bit of overlap so your result will be heavily influenced by the exhaust system, but more so with the 536's.

You'll likely have to clearance the exhaust pocket slightly to avoid piston to valve contact with the 536's.

Old 16th October 2006
Know It All

drhooligan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswracing
At Stage 2 the heads can definitely take advantage of the additional lift of the .536's. High lift flow increases dramatically with port work and bigger valves.

Both grinds have a fair bit of overlap so your result will be heavily influenced by the exhaust system, but more so with the 536's.

You'll likely have to clearance the exhaust pocket slightly to avoid piston to valve contact with the 536's.
Thanks for the advice. Wish I new about you guys and the other options 2 years ago when I went with SE conv. stuff. I may just start over and go with the 1250 kit and XB heads. I'll call you guys soon.
Old 8th November 2006
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
MakuaKane is on a distinguished roadMakuaKane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Was there a problem with the 536's contacting the piston? Dan at NRHS has written me and said that the 536 would give me good performance with my stage one set-up (see below) and would really give great results with the stage two that's in the works. I was planning on installing them as soon as I had the spare $$$.

[URL="http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=4676"]View My Gallery[/URL]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]2006 Sportster Roadster (yellow pearl), Thunderheader, Forcewinder A/C, 48 slow jet w/2.5 turns out on the mix screw, 200 main jet, 1 brass shim under the needle, TwinTec tc88a igniton module and coil, Krankvents, ISO grips, and Progressive 412 shocks and fork springs, and a few other doo-dads.[/FONT]
Old 8th November 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: NRHS 1250 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
tonyhds is a jewel in the roughtonyhds is a jewel in the roughtonyhds is a jewel in the roughtonyhds is a jewel in the roughtonyhds is a jewel in the roughtonyhds is a jewel in the roughtonyhds is a jewel in the roughtonyhds is a jewel in the roughtonyhds is a jewel in the roughtonyhds is a jewel in the roughtonyhds is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Is that because of the reverse dome pistons ?

04 NRHS 1250 Custom - Longhorns Orange

10.3-1 Flat tops, Stage 2 heads, Powdercoated black w/ highlighted fins, SE 497 cams, TC88A ignition w/ a custom Map, 2" HurricaneFlow intake, 1200 gearing, Energy One clutch, Progressive 418's and Progressive front springs, Mustang Vintage and loves oil.
aka " The Guzzler "

" A song needs to breathe. The rhythm needs to breathe. Sometimes the best way to get some punch out of something is to slow down right before you hit it. Kind of like a slingshot --- Pow "
SRV
Know Thy Hog

Old 11th November 2006
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Roadster
MakuaKane is on a distinguished roadMakuaKane is on a distinguished road
Default Any takers on our cam questions??

Old 23rd November 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 w/ 88"
Sportster/Buell Model #2: wife's 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Mikel_NY is on a distinguished roadMikel_NY is on a distinguished roadMikel_NY is on a distinguished roadMikel_NY is on a distinguished roadMikel_NY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakuaKane
Was there a problem with the 536's contacting the piston? Dan at NRHS has written me and said that the 536 would give me good performance with my stage one set-up (see below) and would really give great results with the stage two that's in the works. I was planning on installing them as soon as I had the spare $$$.

I think that the 883's have longer valves that need the clearancing and your 1200 heads using a shorter valve stem may not be a problem in the same situation. To get a 100% answer call NHRS and ask for Dan.

'06 Chopper Blue XL883 Converted...... (88")

D&D 2-1 exhaust * Redshift 630/585's * Mikuni 45mm * Roller Rockers * Oil cooler * Thunderheart Digital ignition

Shrader valves on forks * 27"drag bars * 4.5" pullbacks w/ 1.5"risers * Xena mod Speedo * (2-up & pegs * Removable Back rest...for the kids)

In the works: 4" swingarm w/ 17 x 5.5 - 180 rear tire (to hold the front down.)
Old 24th November 2006
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XLC, now 1212
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
jrazo is on a distinguished roadjrazo is on a distinguished roadjrazo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_NY
To get a 100% answer call NHRS and ask for Dan.
FYI...aswracing is NRHS. Aaron's answers and advice are sound and proven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyhds
Is that because of the reverse dome pistons ?
Remember when you have increased lift at the cam, this causes the valve to open farther, and with longer duration, the chance of piston to valve contact increases as well. Clearancing of the exhaust pocket essentially deepens it to prevent this contact.

This is how I understand it, if it is off please correct me.

[SIGPIC]http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/signaturepics/sigpic4931_1.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 24th November 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 w/ 88"
Sportster/Buell Model #2: wife's 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Mikel_NY is on a distinguished roadMikel_NY is on a distinguished roadMikel_NY is on a distinguished roadMikel_NY is on a distinguished roadMikel_NY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrazo
FYI...aswracing is NRHS. Aaron's answers and advice are sound and proven.

Thank you ..... knew that