The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Members Birthdays
hdbabe49 (65), gene405 (58), hongkong076 (44), whispanic (34)
DK Customs
RYCA Motors
Dead Creek Cycles
NRHS Performance Long 2

Lickscycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th March 2005
Biker

0ut1aw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ignition Module Question

OK this is probably a really stupid question but here goes

I have a 2002 883 and purchased an SE 32632-96 ignition module pkg says fits 96 and up 883s.

First question -- Does it fit a 2002 883

if so can anyone tell me where to find install instructs

Thanks in advance
Old 10th March 2005
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

Not stupid...only because you asked!

Welcome...I'm gonna watch this one myself....I have an '02 as well.....

There are guys here who know how to confirm this better than I, but I have to believe it will....

As for instructions...do you own a manual?

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Last edited by cantolina; 10th March 2005 at 03:35..
Old 10th March 2005
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant future

The 32632-96 is an 8-pin module. I'm pretty sure your bike uses a nose cone module, they switched to nose cone modules in '98. If I'm right, installing it would require using a standard pick-up unit, finding a place to mount the module, and a bunch of rewiring. Personally I wouldn't mess with it, but it can be done.
Old 10th March 2005
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswracing
The 32632-96 is an 8-pin module. I'm pretty sure your bike uses a nose cone module, they switched to nose cone modules in '98. If I'm right, installing it would require using a standard pick-up unit, finding a place to mount the module, and a bunch of rewiring. Personally I wouldn't mess with it, but it can be done.
Do you mean the diff. between the ignition modules that have both black and white connectors (mounted on the frame) and those in the gearcase with wire attached??
Old 10th March 2005
Senior Chief Know It All

gamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura about

By doing a search for 32632-96 http://www.surdyke.com site, it says that it fits '96-'97 XL 883 models. According to H-D's site - 32979-98A fits '98-'03 XL 883 models, and lists for $119.95.
Know Thy Hog

Old 10th March 2005
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantolina
Do you mean the diff. between the ignition modules that have both black and white connectors (mounted on the frame) and those in the gearcase with wire attached??
An 8-pin module looks like this:

They typically mount under the seat.

Some of these modules will have an extra couple wires that don't go through the 8-pin Deutsch connector. If the module supports single fire (this one doesn't), it needs more wires because it has to provide a separate primary signal for the other coil as well as a tach signal (since each primary outputs are each running at half frequency in a single fire arrangement).

A nose cone module looks like this:

These things integrate the ignition module and the pickup unit into one handy package that goes in the nose cone of the gearcase.

HD went to nose cone modules in Sportsters beginning in '98. Retrofitting an 8-pin module, or it's predecessor the 7-pin module, is doable but a hassle. Gotta put in an old style pickup unit and wire in an 8-pin connector and figure out how to mount the thing.

The color codes on the wires are pretty standard, though. From memory, 8 pin modules look like this:

red, green, & black go to the pickup unit
pink is the primary signal (to one side of the coil)
white is the power (generally leads to the other side of the coil, where a wire from the handlebar switch meets it and provides power).
purple is the VOES switch input (grounded = high vacuum)
and there's a ground in there somewhere.
Only 7 pins of the 8-pin connector are used.

Wouldn't be surprised if the factory nose cone modules have similar color codes.

In '04 of course they eliminated the nose cone module and went to the TC88 style module that works off a crank trigger.
Old 11th March 2005
Biker

0ut1aw is an unknown quantity at this point

Confirms what I feared.....

probably not the right place but.
Anyone want to buy it... new but package removed

shoot me an email if you do
Old 9th April 2005
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
kntalan has disabled reputation

So am I right in thinking the my 2003xlh 1200 has a "SINGLE FIRE" module in the nose cone. And if i want to replace it, then I would get a single fire module?

thanks...Tom
Old 9th April 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Hugger 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
maddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kntalan
So am I right in thinking the my 2003xlh 1200 has a "SINGLE FIRE" module in the nose cone. And if i want to replace it, then I would get a single fire module?

thanks...Tom
No... '03's are still Dual Fire, nosecone or not. If you do get a Single Fire Module you have get Single Fire Coils as well.

Night Train + Street Fighter= NIGHT FIGHTER

MY GALLERY

"It's just a Sportster, but I'm saving up for a Big Twin."
That's like saying...
"It's just a Corvette, but I'm saving up for a Station Wagon."

STEPHANIE FELD
HOT XL MAGAZINE
SUMMER '97

He was asked, "Why do you ride?" He considered the question carefully for a few moments. "The Lean", he replied.
Old 9th April 2005
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: I wish
HotRodSporty is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ut1aw
OK this is probably a really stupid question but here goes

I have a 2002 883 and purchased an SE 32632-96 ignition module pkg says fits 96 and up 883s.

First question -- Does it fit a 2002 883

if so can anyone tell me where to find install instructs

Thanks in advance

I had to ask the same thing 2 weeks ago outlaw, and now I have two ignition modules. The exact Dyna in the pic and a screaming Eagle selectable for the nose cone. I hope you asked before you baught instead of having to buy two of them like I did.
Oops, I just read the rest of your post, guess we are in the same boat. I baught both of mine off ebay so I have two for the price of one pretty much.
Know Thy Hog