The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA Motors  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Lowbrow Customs
Speedway Instruments
Motor Stage
Get Lowered

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd October 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
AMF Ironhead has disabled reputation
Default Need help with electrical problem please!!!

I took the bike for a test ride after I installed lollipops to tune the Bendix properly, and I noticed than when I pressed the left turn signal the light in the speedometer was flashing and the turn signals were not working (left). Bike was not running very smoothly in iddle (I gues due to the new lollipops) but it was fine before the turn signal issue. Anyway, I got home and realized that when the left turn signal was pressed, all lights will flash (generator, engine). Last straw, the bike will not start. It cranks strong but there is no fire and the wrong flashing continues. Can I get any ideas of what to look for? I don't know where to start.
Old 23rd October 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

lagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the rough

lollipops,tune bendix ???
i have no idea but the lights say you got a short in the wiring or bulbs. did you install a single filament bulb where there should be a two filament bulb?
Old 23rd October 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 81 sporty
boilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagerdrinker
lollipops,tune bendix ???
i have no idea but the lights say you got a short in the wiring or bulbs. did you install a single filament bulb where there should be a two filament bulb?
The "lollipops" are the bolt and washer trick in the pipes to create a restriction.
I was thinking possible bad ground and back feeding the 2 filament bulb is a good possiblity also
Old 23rd October 2006

lagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilermaker
The "lollipops" are the bolt and washer trick in the pipes to create a restriction.

ok but how does that tune the bendix? starter bendix? what other bendix is there?
Old 23rd October 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 81 sporty
boilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
ok but how does that tune the bendix? starter bendix? what other bendix is there?
Bendix carb used before kiehen carb I believe
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd October 2006
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

Quote:
I believe he's talking about his carb....

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Old 23rd October 2006
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMF Ironhead
I took the bike for a test ride after I installed lollipops to tune the Bendix properly, and I noticed than when I pressed the left turn signal the light in the speedometer was flashing and the turn signals were not working (left). Bike was not running very smoothly in iddle (I gues due to the new lollipops) but it was fine before the turn signal issue. Anyway, I got home and realized that when the left turn signal was pressed, all lights will flash (generator, engine). Last straw, the bike will not start. It cranks strong but there is no fire and the wrong flashing continues. Can I get any ideas of what to look for? I don't know where to start.
You have a short in the TS wiring....you'll have to chase it down manually....

PROBABLY near the grips, but could be anywhere...

Look for anywhere a wire could be pinched...
Old 23rd October 2006
Biker

I will check the bulbs. What do you mean by back feeding? I'm pretty new at this, so forgive me. Will the taillight bulb give me problems also?
Old 23rd October 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilermaker
Bendix carb used before kiehen carb I believe

ok, that makes sence. sorry, idiot talking out loud.
Old 23rd October 2006
Biker

TS wiring?
Know Thy Hog