The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sporster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > GENERAL AREA > Other Motorcycle Discussion
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Other Motorcycle Discussion Non-Sportster an non-Buell discussion area

Members Birthdays
ledbelly (61), sportrod (61), pjcav (47), jgaither (46), naru (42), eberky (38), Paulie420 (35), 83xls
Energy One Clutches
883 Sportster
Motor Stage
Foxcreek Leather

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th January 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 (traded)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC Super Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Gary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the rough
Default Installed footboards on my Super Glide

I put the FXDP footboards on my Super Glide today. Wasn't able to ride very far after I got 'em on but so far I LIKE! You can put your feet in either a mid position, or stretch 'em out to where they would nearly be if you had forward controls. Also, the mid foot pegs let quite a bit of vibration get through to your feet. That's totally eliminated with the footboards.

Old 15th January 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C Pewter Pearl (gone)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: SuperGlide Custom
Thornhammer is on a distinguished roadThornhammer is on a distinguished roadThornhammer is on a distinguished road

C'mon, dish! Did you have to do anything special to mount them?
Old 15th January 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883=>1200 Low
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Cindy Dietz is a glorious beacon of lightCindy Dietz is a glorious beacon of lightCindy Dietz is a glorious beacon of lightCindy Dietz is a glorious beacon of lightCindy Dietz is a glorious beacon of lightCindy Dietz is a glorious beacon of lightCindy Dietz is a glorious beacon of lightCindy Dietz is a glorious beacon of lightCindy Dietz is a glorious beacon of lightCindy Dietz is a glorious beacon of lightCindy Dietz is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornhammer View Post
I put floorboards on my sporty. Wrote a blog about it, showing the installation, if you are interested:

08 Installing Floorboards on my 05 883 Harley Davidson Sportster, Effie.
IBA #23594
Winner of HOG's 2006 ABC's of Touring
My Travel Blog

Old 15th January 2009

Gary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornhammer View Post
Well, unlike Cindy's install on the Sportster, the floorboards I put on my Super Glide are genuine Harley parts. They came std on the old FXDP Defender model, which was the Dyna police bike.

These boards will bolt right to the existing mid mount points and the forward mount points on the newer 06-09 Dyna models. The only thing that won't work is the forward shifter hardware that came on the FXDP. The mounting points for that don't exist on the newer frame and engine. That's why I just used an extended shifter mounted to the mid-mount shift spline.

Harley used to sell this whole set up as a kit, but they no longer do. But all the parts are still available. If you know the part numbers, you just order each individual part, which is what I did. Here is the list:

Items from Harley instruction sheet #J01921 (The number preceding the item is the item number from the assembly directions, NOT how many of that part you need.):

3 Socket head cap screw, self tapping (Quantity 8) 3214
(Only need 4 of these if you reuse the bolts from your existing mid mounts.)

18 Assembly, right front footboard 50521-01
19 Right rear footboard support 50526-01
20 Left front footboard support 50529-01
21 Left rear footboard support 50530-01
22 Assembly, footboard (Quantity 2) 50632-85
23 Shoulder bolt, 1/4-20 x 1 (Quantity 4) 50635-82A

29 Lockwasher, 3/8" (Quantity 8) 7045
(Only need 4 of these if you reuse the bolts from your existing mid mounts.)

31 Flange nut, 1/4-20 (Quantity 4) 7716

Updated items from the 2003 FXDP manual (needed because of updated brake pedal design--again, the number preceding the item is the item number from the manual, NOT how many of that part you need.):

1 Cotter pin 515

3 Screw, 3/8-16 X 1 Torx 4059
4 Washer, 1/4" 6099

6 Washer, 7/16" 6516HW
7 Washer, 3/8 X 13/16 X 1/16 (Quantity 2) 6701

9 Hex jam nut, 5/16-24 7744
10 LOCKNUT 7/16-14 X 21/64 X 5/8 hex 7827W

14 SHAFT, pivot 33689-02

16 Assembly, Brake pedal 33711-02
17 WASHER, spring wave 34641-01

26 Linkage, rear brake push rod 41954-01

29 Pad, brake pedal 42416-83

31 Clevis pin 42460-80B
Old 15th January 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
jcopel is on a distinguished roadjcopel is on a distinguished road

Probably a silly question, but I'm too busy for any research this morning. Is that, by chance, the Mustang seat off of your Sporty? I'm assuming the Sporty seat would not fit the Dyna. Also, do the compact saddlebags from Don's fit on the Dyna Glide? I use those on my Sporty also.
Your new bike is sweet. I'll still haven't jumped, yet. Still struggling with what I want to do. If I keep what I have, are you going to sell your old windshield? Was it the detachable?
Know Thy Hog

Old 15th January 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcopel View Post
Probably a silly question, but I'm too busy for any research this morning. Is that, by chance, the Mustang seat off of your Sporty? I'm assuming the Sporty seat would not fit the Dyna. Also, do the compact saddlebags from Don's fit on the Dyna Glide? I use those on my Sporty also.
Your new bike is sweet. I'll still haven't jumped, yet. Still struggling with what I want to do. If I keep what I have, are you going to sell your old windshield? Was it the detachable?
Thanks. This bike is a blast to ride and look at, and I don't regret for a minute trading the Sportster in on it.

Seat is new. Sporty seat won't fit on a Dyna.

Don's saddle bags don't work too well on the Dyna. That's why I've got 'em for sale in the Classified section.

Windshield is already sold.
Old 15th January 2009
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N-Traded :(
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Fat Bob
Other Motorcycle Year: 09
el jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really nice

Looks good!
Old 16th January 2009
Senior Bike Builder

mjbogrand has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Dietz View Post
I put floorboards on my sporty. Wrote a blog about it, showing the installation, if you are interested:

08 Installing Floorboards on my 05 883 Harley Davidson Sportster, Effie.
Used those on my ironhead.Let them go with it 'cause at about 240,seemed kinda light weight for me.Loved the look though.

BTW Gary7 nice work.There is a way to do this to a sporty.I just been riding and painting too much to care!