The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Members Birthdays
Gennyred (64), Spatialanomaly (60), ColinB (54), HD1000XL (49), tub531
Figure Machine
Get Lowered
Licks Cycles
Bison Motorsports

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th March 2005
Biker

mcevoy has disabled reputation
Default turn signal to brake light conversion harness

2001 1200Custom. talked to HD store and was informed that the harness will fit 2002 and above. Anyone have any thoughts on this---trying not to get rear-ended.
Old 11th March 2005
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcevoy
2001 1200Custom. talked to HD store and was informed that the harness will fit 2002 and above. Anyone have any thoughts on this---trying not to get rear-ended.
Does that make your turn signals come on with the brake? What flashes when you're turning? I've never seen this....

I was wondering about a stop-strobe, myself....I wonder if that's legal?

At any rate, I'm all ABOUT lights...whatever makes you be SEEN...

Personally, I'm going to put a stop light on my sissy bar, I think....if I can find something I like........

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Old 11th March 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Umm
Sportster/Buell Year: Yah
Other Motorcycle Model: UltraClassic Electraglide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2010
Ole is a name known to allOle is a name known to allOle is a name known to allOle is a name known to allOle is a name known to allOle is a name known to allOle is a name known to allOle is a name known to allOle is a name known to allOle is a name known to allOle is a name known to all
Default Lighting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcevoy
Yeppers...got it on mine. Harness is the same as yours but you've got the football type lenses I believe...that's the only thing holding you up. Check out your local dealer for red football style lenses for your '01. They should be able to order them...HD part# 68416-99. You can buy the newer kit, pitch the lenses that come with it and use the other lenses. It'll cost you an extra $5-$10 buck but hey, you'll be seen better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantolina
Does that make your turn signals come on with the brake? What flashes when you're turning? I've never seen this....

I was wondering about a stop-strobe, myself....I wonder if that's legal?
Outboards now have red lenses and come full-on when braking. If you're turning then the one on the side that you've got your flasher on will flash just like normal. Also, check the tailBlazer out...

Quote:
At any rate, I'm all ABOUT lights...whatever makes you be SEEN...

Personally, I'm going to put a stop light on my sissy bar, I think....if I can find something I like........
I've seen these before...is this the type of thing you're talking about?

Just because you have the right to do it doesn't mean that it is right to do it.

Old 11th March 2005

cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole
Outboards now have red lenses and come full-on when braking. If you're turning then the one on the side that you've got your flasher on will flash just like normal. Also, check the tailBlazer out...
I really like this idea....a lot....but I'm not ok with the eventual "steady-on"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole
I've seen these before...is this the type of thing you're talking about?
Sort of....I have a chrome skull with red eyes and nose that light up....it was originally a trailer hitch cover that I really want to convert into an aux. brake light on the sissy bar...It's awesome..
Old 12th March 2005
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
TechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of light

I have the conversion kit installed and think it works great. I like having more brake lights.
I also installed the lighted (LED) turn signial mounts.
Know Thy Hog

Old 12th March 2005

Quote:
I really like this idea....a lot....but I'm not ok with the eventual "steady-on"

Sort of....I have a chrome skull with red eyes and nose that light up....it was originally a trailer hitch cover that I really want to convert into an aux. brake light on the sissy bar...It's awesome..
I'm now going to try a new lamp type.....it flashes in a small circle when riding, then flashes when you stop....I like this a lot...

check it out here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4534543643

anyone had experience with these?
Old 12th March 2005
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
engine has disabled reputation

I got a SUPER bright LED tail light. Almost blinding...good to get attention when braking. I also bought 3-wire Deuce style bullet turn signals (stock bullet look). These have 2 filament 1157 bulbs in them. Right now I wired them to only use the hi-filament for turn signals. I also have the option to wire them as running lights with turn signals, where I'd have to use red lenses (included in the kit), or as mentioned previously, I can wire them to my brake light and have them as extra brake lights, and a turn signal as well. Lots of options.
this is a pic of the tail light, with running light only (not brake light)

Last edited by engine; 12th March 2005 at 20:51..
Old 12th March 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine
I got a SUPER bright LED tail light. Almost blinding...good to get attention when braking. I also bought 3-wire Deuce style bullet turn signals (stock bullet look). These have 2 filament 1157 bulbs in them. Right now I wired them to only ise the hi-filamebt for turn signals. I also have the option to wire them as running lights with turn signals, where I'd have to use red lenses (included in the kit), or as mentioned previously, I can sire them to my brake light and have them as extra brake lights, and a turn signal as well. Lots of options.
this is a pic of the tail light, with running light only (not brake light)
That's awesome....never saw that before....

nice look....

still looking for my chrome skull....I know its here somwhere....

Old 12th March 2005
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
engine has disabled reputation

Quote:
That's awesome....never saw that before....

nice look....

still looking for my chrome skull....I know its here somwhere....

IT's a Tombstone LED light, designed to fit factory fenders. I had to drill an extra hole for the 3rd mounting stud. Took 15 minutes to install.
Old 12th March 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine
IT's a Tombstone LED light, designed to fit factory fenders. I had to drill an extra hole for the 3rd mounting stud. Took 15 minutes to install.
Here's my extra running light/stop light...

Campy, I know...but I love it....

Last edited by cantolina; 12th March 2005 at 23:46..
Know Thy Hog