The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
Ironworks Magazine
Biltwell
Dead Creek Cycles

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th October 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default speedo/tach not working

The speedo and tacho on my 04 roadster just stopped working the other day.I have removed all the fuses behind the left cover and cleaned them. They were heavily oxidised and had some minor rust evident. I then squirted some wd40 into the box before replacing them. This has not worked. Does anyone have any ideas as to the next step. I can't get into the dealer until 21/11/06.
P.S. Everything else seems to be working ok including the indicator/hi beam/ oil light panel. It is just as if there is no power at all to the speedo and the tacho
Old 30th October 2006
Harley Engineer

Paul has disabled reputation

can you get a display on the odometer widow? If so you can do a self diagnostic
Old 30th October 2006

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not getting anything at all
Old 31st October 2006
JESTER Mafia-Hooligan Div

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
BWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant future

I'd try tracing the wiring harness back and checking the plug-ins.

Stuff: YES
Old 31st October 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

We need a wiring diagram. Is there one in the base service manual (I've never looked) or do we need the electrical troubleshooting manual for that?
Know Thy Hog

Old 13th November 2006

After the advise, I got I pulled off the seat checked every connection between the battery and the speedo and tacho, Took out the speedo and tacho, had power in both connectors then confirmed by pulling fuses. I couldn't find the other end of the wires for the tacho and speedo though to see if the prob is at the sender unit. I have ordered a workshop manual but if anyone can tell me where the sender for the tacho and the speedo is I could check that
Old 13th November 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: '99
Other Motorcycle Model: Not yet!
hybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enoughhybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enoughhybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enoughhybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enoughhybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enoughhybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enough

They do use a common ground. Did you look at the ground wire?

1999 XLH1200, Vivid Black....Trimmed cam cover, Thunderheader, Ram Flo 400, Pingel petcock, forward controls, black drag bars w/4.5" pullback risers, relocated front turn signals, Progressive fork springs, 4-piston HD front caliper, and a bunch of black powdercoated stuff!

[U]Click to Enlarge[/U]
[URL=http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4504798][img]http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/1/1212393091.jpg[/img][/URL]
Old 13th November 2006

Can you please tell me exactly where that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybriDatsun350
They do use a common ground. Did you look at the ground wire?
Old 16th November 2006

I couldn't find this ground wire on the tripple trees. The bike is an o4 1200 roadster, perhaps there have been changes. I bought a manual but when I read it, it said that I needed the electrical troubleshooting manual. Does anyone have one?
The problem is that it is as if the speedo and tacho are dead. I've traced through all connections, fuses etc and everything seems in good ordered and I've checked with a test light and power is in all the leads it should be. The bike is functioning perfectly otherwise.
Its just out of warrantee ( bloody typical) so I'm dreading taking it too the dealer. I will ask them to cover though as the problem started about 14 days after the warrantee ran out. If anyone has the electrical trouble shooting manual I'd be greatful if you could look up the fault for me
Old 22nd November 2006

Well I took the bike to the dealer yesterday. they say that both the speedo and tacho are dead,ie burned out. they also say that the bike has no electrical faults at all. So how did this occur? They suggested that the bike could have been tampered with. But as I am the only person to ride this bike since new, and that they suggest that a lead from the coil would have to be removed whilst the bike was going, this cannot be the cause. I would have noticed someone trying to mess with the bike whilst I was on it.
So there must be some other cause. Anyone with any idea's?
The fault occured 2 weeks after the warranty ran out. I have asked the dealer to contact Harley Australia to see if they would cover it anyway.
Their decision will be critical to my decision to upgrade the bike in the new year, ie if they cover it I'll stay with Harley, if they don't then I'll probably go back to Jap.
This should not have happened to a 2yr old 8000 km bike ridden by only one person. I hope they stand behind their products as I love riding my Harley. But given that they they just surveyed me in regards to reliability and longevity, I can't logically go forward towards another expensive purchase if they don't do the right thing by me.
I'll keep you all posted.
Know Thy Hog