The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 2  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
Sky Smith Insurance
Figure Machine
RYCA Motors

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
atlienstyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default introducing myself and my '74

So this summer I was painting a house and the owner had this '74 sportster sitting in the garage and i fell in love with the bike just seeing it every day on my way in and out. It looked like it had been there a while so one day i asked the owner if he wanted to sell it and he said it actually wasn't even his. his brother in law had left it there almost 20 years ago, but he said he would call him and get back to me. The brother in law didnt want it and his wife wanted it out of the garage so he gave it to me for free.

so here's the thing. I have no mechanic's experience whatsoever but I'm determined to rebuild this bike. I'm wondering if there is a good order of things to do for a complete rebuild. I've poked around the forum a bit and read a couple of the ground up rebuild threads but i thought i would post and see what advice you guys had.

thanks!
-sam

p.s. I would love to show a picture but i have to get my post count up first
Old 20th January 2009
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 50
XL 50 has a spectacular aura aboutXL 50 has a spectacular aura aboutXL 50 has a spectacular aura aboutXL 50 has a spectacular aura aboutXL 50 has a spectacular aura aboutXL 50 has a spectacular aura aboutXL 50 has a spectacular aura aboutXL 50 has a spectacular aura aboutXL 50 has a spectacular aura aboutXL 50 has a spectacular aura about

Welcome from Southern Cal
Old 20th January 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
atlienstyle is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks, i posted a picture in my gallery
Old 20th January 2009
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XR 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki GPz 750
Other Motorcycle Year: 1984
cafe_dave is a glorious beacon of lightcafe_dave is a glorious beacon of lightcafe_dave is a glorious beacon of lightcafe_dave is a glorious beacon of lightcafe_dave is a glorious beacon of lightcafe_dave is a glorious beacon of lightcafe_dave is a glorious beacon of lightcafe_dave is a glorious beacon of lightcafe_dave is a glorious beacon of lightcafe_dave is a glorious beacon of lightcafe_dave is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome from Leavenworth, Kansas (a gated community)
What luck........cant wait to see it....ok I seen it in your gallery
Check with IronMick
He as well as some of the other Iron guys are guru's of it....I think you got a steal

Catching a Yellow-Jacket in your shirt at 70mph
can double your vocabulary

In the morning,,Your motorcycle won't poke you in the back when it wants to ride
Old 20th January 2009
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R 90+HP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2276cc VW sandrail
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
misterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of light

thats awesome,congratulations and welcome to the forum from Indiana. You can find out anything you need to know here, this place is great. it saved me a lot of money and has been a huge help.
04 1200R 90+HP/10.5-1 SE pistons/.536 cams/Heads by MR T/mikuni HSR 42 w/25 pilot, 96 needle, 170 main/TC88A ignition w turbotas mod 33 map pos.4/ Supertrapp 2-1 w 23 disks/ 28T FRONT PULLEY /NRHS Hurricane A/C & adj. pushrods /progressive 440 shocks & fork springs w/10 OZ SE fork oil
Know Thy Hog

Old 20th January 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
grindbastard is a jewel in the roughgrindbastard is a jewel in the roughgrindbastard is a jewel in the roughgrindbastard is a jewel in the roughgrindbastard is a jewel in the roughgrindbastard is a jewel in the roughgrindbastard is a jewel in the roughgrindbastard is a jewel in the roughgrindbastard is a jewel in the roughgrindbastard is a jewel in the roughgrindbastard is a jewel in the rough

Sweet...lots of potential there.

"...they mostly come at night......mostly."

2005 XL1200R - Arlen Ness Big Sucker AC, Cycle-Shack slip-ons, #185 Main/#45 Pilot, DynaTek Dyna 2000 Ignition, Forward Controls, 12" air shocks
2005 XL1200C - Stock as F*#k.
Old 20th January 2009
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Krypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to behold

Welcome from Melbourne, Florida (the other down under) It's probably statisticly proven that this site is the leading cause for Sporty's getting rebuilt than any other single source!......

Old 20th January 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
FourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really nice

Welcome from Seattle Sam.

Quote:
I'm wondering if there is a good order of things to do for a complete rebuild.
Step 1 - Buy factory service manual

Congrats on the new bike!
Old 20th January 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Spree
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
Shadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enough

Welcome from New Jersey.

Step 2 - buy the factory parts manual.

Chris

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it,
no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own
reason and your own common sense."
-Buddha (536 B.C.-483 B.C.)
Old 20th January 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1000cc Ironhead Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: 96 KDX200 Dirt Bike
russzx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to all

Welcome from Queensland Australia

Step 3. get in and get ya hands dirty!!
Know Thy Hog