The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
jurneyman (76), AdO650 (62), xlsport (60), darth (57), mcsmokinp (53), stalkie (53), unleashed66 (52), 66xlch (52), lownslow (46), hrg (44)
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd February 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XB12X Ulysses
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Yami XS650 (custom)
Other Motorcycle Year: 81
Rush is a jewel in the roughRush is a jewel in the roughRush is a jewel in the roughRush is a jewel in the roughRush is a jewel in the roughRush is a jewel in the roughRush is a jewel in the roughRush is a jewel in the roughRush is a jewel in the roughRush is a jewel in the roughRush is a jewel in the rough

The original link worked for me, but the new one asks for a username and password.
Nice work, by the way. Thank you for your efforts.
Old 23rd February 2009
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1000cc Ironhead Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: 96 KDX200 Dirt Bike
russzx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to all

Sorry Lads i might have not made it accessable to all. ..try this link and let me know, title is "Ironhead wiring diagram in Autocad". It may have the out of date drawing sitting next to it . .i'll delete that if this link works

http://cid-1a5266e54855285b.skydrive...%20diagram.pdf
Old 23rd February 2009
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by russzx6 View Post
...try this link and let me know, ...
It's good now.

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 23rd February 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
75sporty is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a few questions again.

What wire goes on what post for the regulator? I have D+, DF, etc...

My high beam switch is a 3 way with a common wire to the center, then a switched wire to high and low beam. I thought this was stock on my 75. In this case, I just take the center wire for power, and have the other two as switched high/low beam. I don't need a relay, right?
Old 23rd February 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
FourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75sporty View Post
I have a few questions again.

What wire goes on what post for the regulator? I have D+, DF, etc...

My high beam switch is a 3 way with a common wire to the center, then a switched wire to high and low beam. I thought this was stock on my 75. In this case, I just take the center wire for power, and have the other two as switched high/low beam. I don't need a relay, right?
D+ goes to the Armature post of the generator. The wire to your generator light also comes off this post.
DF goes to the Field post of the generator.
B+ goes to the positive battery post. It also goes to your ignition switch.
Gnd goes to ground.

You don't need a relay for the headlight. The wire to the switch should be on the lighting breaker though.
Old 23rd February 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1200GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
hmiller has much to be proud ofhmiller has much to be proud ofhmiller has much to be proud ofhmiller has much to be proud ofhmiller has much to be proud ofhmiller has much to be proud ofhmiller has much to be proud ofhmiller has much to be proud ofhmiller has much to be proud ofhmiller has much to be proud ofhmiller has much to be proud of

Your draftsman should be able to change the background color of the plot to black to make the white and grey colors show up better. Autocad used to use a black background but changed when they went to the model views. I change them back to the old schemes to better match my color setups.
Old 23rd February 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
75sporty is an unknown quantity at this point

And I am assuming the lighting and Accessory C/B's are 15 and 10 amp? The main one is a 35 amp, right?
Sponsored Links
Old 23rd February 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
FourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75sporty View Post
And I am assuming the lighting and Accessory C/B's are 15 and 10 amp? The main one is a 35 amp, right?
I'm not 100% certain on the 75 but I think the lighting is 15 Amp, the Ignition is 15 Amp and the main is 30.
Old 23rd February 2009
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1000cc Ironhead Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: 96 KDX200 Dirt Bike
russzx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmiller View Post
Your draftsman should be able to change the background color of the plot to black to make the white and grey colors show up better. Autocad used to use a black background but changed when they went to the model views. I change them back to the old schemes to better match my color setups.
On the Autocad DWG drawing yes it shows up grey and white wires, but when you change them to a pdf version they lose clarity. Autocad is not a thing most people can open.
Old 23rd February 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1200GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
hmiller has much to be proud ofhmiller has much to be proud ofhmiller has much to be proud ofhmiller has much to be proud ofhmiller has much to be proud ofhmiller has much to be proud ofhmiller has much to be proud ofhmiller has much to be proud ofhmiller has much to be proud ofhmiller has much to be proud ofhmiller has much to be proud of

Quote:
On the Autocad DWG drawing yes it shows up grey and white wires, but when you change them to a pdf version they lose clarity. Autocad is not a thing most people can open.
Just looked at the link, didn't realize it was a pdf, for some reason I assumed it was a jpg or wmf. I've had some luck with them but the issue is always resolution, the small text always ends up blurry or shown as a box.

In the words of Roseann Rosanadana: Nevermind.