The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Lowbrow Customs
NHRS Performance
NHRS Performance
NHRS Performance

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Hot Rod Sportster XL 1203
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 100th Anniversary
FiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to all
Default SPROCKET & BELT SIZE? Difference 883 & 1200?

Hey Fellow Forum Members,

I have a 2003 XL 883.

What is the stock OEM rear wheel sprocket size & belt size? Teeth?

What is the difference for a stock OEM sprocket & belt 1200 of the same year?

Does the 1200 spec. belt and belt sprocket give an advantage in speed? By hoew much?

Is it any easier on the motor?

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards,

56r
Old 22nd January 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

Final drive for a 883 is 27/61
For a 1200 it's 29/61
Completely stock except for, Branch #5 heads & 10.5:1 JE pistons, Red Shift V531 cams, S&S Super E, ThunderJet, V&H Sideshots, S&S Flywheels, Dyna 2000i, Stortz 55mm Inverted Fork, JMC Swingarm, Works Performance 12.5" Shocks, PM 4 Piston, PM wheels, 18 x 150 R tire, Custom Belt Drive Conversion, Still Has Original Nut Behind The Bars
Old 23rd January 2009
Flat Track Champion

FiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to all
Default Thanks Biknut

Hey Bro Thanks for the reply,

What does that mean as far as how the bikes run being that my bike is a 1203cc bike now (converted from 883 to 1200 see below) still with the OEM 883 final drive? Which bike would have Stronger acceleration? Higher Top end? Should i convert to an OEM 1200 final drive?

I suppose I should ask the question differently....now that my bike is basically as warmed up Buell motored Sportster 1203cc how does it run (acceleration and top end) compared to a 1200 with OEM final drive?

Thanks......

also ....that is one bad ass looking bike in your post and just reading your mod list it is no doubt a road burner as well.

What kind of nubers are you getting from your bike?

Best regards,

56R
Old 23rd January 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda SL70
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
black_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enough

Your stock 883 gearing will give you more acceleration, as they both have the same rear sprocket, but the two tooth smaller 883 countershaft sprocket makes for more accel. I geared my 1200 like a 883 for that reason.
Old 23rd January 2009
Flat Track Champion

Default THANKS black_n_orange_08

How does that shake out in terms of the bikes behavior on the road,

At 75 miles per hour what rpm's would an 883 be making?

What rpm's from a 1200 at the same spped?

And is the diffreence from when the bike had 1200 final drive specs and now with 883 final drive specs a noticable difference?

How much so ? Only slightly or Very noticeable?

Thanks,

56R
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd January 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

I think road speed wise there's about 9 mph difference in top gear. Without figuring it out a rough guess is 500 rpm.
Old 23rd January 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda SL70
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
black_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enough

I can only answer part of your question, because I don't have a tach.

But I can tell you that I noticed a huge improvement in acceleration. If you're not planning to run 100 mph all day long, you probably won't miss the 29 tooth. HD just gears these bikes too high to begin with, in my opinion.
Old 23rd January 2009
Flat Track Champion

Default THANKS black_n_orange_08

That my brother was the answer I was looking for.

I'm leaving it alone then and going with the stock 883 set up it has now.

One last stupid question,

Does anyone change 5th gear on these bikes to be able to go fast at low rpms on long trips?

I would like to be able to run about 80 to 85 without fear of burning up the motor on a long trip (500 miles to me).

Thanks,

Bro

Best regards, 56R
Old 23rd January 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
tensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of light

i put the 29 tooth front pulley on my 883 and it makes a world of differnce in the higher gears. and as far as off the line its fast enough for me. but i may be old, bald and weird
Old 23rd January 2009
Flat Track Champion

Default TALL 5th GEAR FOR AN EVo SPORTSTER?

Hey Brothers,

one last question;

Does anyone make a taller 5th gear for these bikes to go fast at low rpm on the highway or is it all done at he final drive sprockets?

Thanks,

Best regards,

56R
Know Thy Hog