The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Zipper's Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
NHRS Performance
Bison Motorsports
Lowbrow Customs
Biltwell

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th January 2009
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
gemeinschaft will become famous soon enoughgemeinschaft will become famous soon enoughgemeinschaft will become famous soon enoughgemeinschaft will become famous soon enoughgemeinschaft will become famous soon enoughgemeinschaft will become famous soon enoughgemeinschaft will become famous soon enough
Default No Oil filter.....Help?

I was looking yesterday for the oil filter on my 1977 XLCH and I could not find one. Then I looked it up my Clymer manual and found nothing useful (my bike has been converted to Electric Start so it has a different oil tank, but NO filter.

So I am thinking, it would be a good idea to install an oil filter before I cause more wear on the engine...

Has anyone else ran across this and if so, what direction did you take?

I am thinking about just finding a way to use a standard size oil filter for a cars and adpat it for my bike...

All comments, suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance.

"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace,his goods are in peace." - Luke 11:21

"Dulce bellum inexpertis" - Erasmus
Old 25th January 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
bdbecker is a glorious beacon of lightbdbecker is a glorious beacon of lightbdbecker is a glorious beacon of lightbdbecker is a glorious beacon of lightbdbecker is a glorious beacon of lightbdbecker is a glorious beacon of lightbdbecker is a glorious beacon of lightbdbecker is a glorious beacon of lightbdbecker is a glorious beacon of lightbdbecker is a glorious beacon of lightbdbecker is a glorious beacon of light

Here's a thread that might be of some use to you:
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=273845
Old 25th January 2009
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
maverick is an unknown quantity at this point

use the left side motor mount kit cooling in the wind and you'll be fine you can get it from jp cycles
Old 26th January 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

CH had no oil filter originally.
Just depended on the big end rollers to crush any particles into paste.

If you have the stock HD XLH oil tank as part of your electric start conversion, JP Cycles sells a good filter that drops in the filler cap of the tank.
Old 26th January 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

the kit that is part of the motormount works good, have one on my XLCH. throw a cooler on that thing while ur at it, and DO NOT use an auto filter on ur ironhead. it was designed for a lot higher operating pressure than an ironhead produces and will put to much restriction in the return line.
Know Thy Hog

Old 26th January 2009
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

I got the drop in with my side mount tank. not the best but cheap and easy to change.

gives the illusion of runnin no filter
thank god for darwin
Old 26th January 2009
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTD
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
superwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of light

External filter kit is the way to go.
Old 27th January 2009
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default Auto oil filters are perfectly safe to use on your ironhead...

...just use common sense and change it on a regular basis so it doesn't jam up on you.

They will absolutely NOT put any more restriction on your return, feed, or vent lines than a motorcycle filter.
What they will do is add oil capacity to your system and save you a lot of $$$ if you're fastidious about oil changes, like me.

The Fram HP1 is a high-flow/low-restriction race filter that works really well and can be found at any auto parts store.
Old 27th January 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Spree
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
Shadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enough

I have the one that drops in my tank as well. For some reason I thought that is the way they were from the factory. It doesnt get in the way at all, and seems to do its job just fine. Changing it is a snap, just take the lid off the tank, pull the old one out, drop the new one in, and put the lid back on.

Why would the external filter be more desirable than the one that drops into the oil tank?

Thanks,

Chris

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it,
no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own
reason and your own common sense."
-Buddha (536 B.C.-483 B.C.)
Old 27th January 2009
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
I have the one that drops in my tank as well. For some reason I thought that is the way they were from the factory. It doesnt get in the way at all, and seems to do its job just fine. Changing it is a snap, just take the lid off the tank, pull the old one out, drop the new one in, and put the lid back on.

Why would the external filter be more desirable than the one that drops into the oil tank?

Thanks,

Chris
and another bonus, ya have to take it out to change the oil. ya can't forget. ever
Know Thy Hog