The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Members Birthdays
Wardog (65), ZeD (62), JamieSporty95 (42), JStrong (37), llsmketr, Phelan (29)
RYCA Motors
Lowbrow Customs
NHRS Performance
Sky Smith Insurance

Dead Creek Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th March 2005
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 04 1475 XLFU roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
TNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura about
Default 2004 88 inch question!?!?!?!?

I'm getting ready to gather the parts I need for a Nallins' 88 inch conversion of my 2004 Roadster, starting with the basic kit (cylinders, pistons).

I'd like to know which parts will carry over from the stock engine and which I need to replace (i.e. pushrods, valves/guides, lifters, yadayadayada...)

I am more interested in low-end torque over hi-RPM horsepower, FWIW.

Thanks in advance -
Rob
Old 14th March 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883XLH - 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: NRHS Stg 3 Thunderstorm
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
raysheen is just really niceraysheen is just really niceraysheen is just really niceraysheen is just really niceraysheen is just really niceraysheen is just really niceraysheen is just really niceraysheen is just really niceraysheen is just really niceraysheen is just really niceraysheen is just really nice

See the following thread...I think most will still apply to the 04 bikes:
88 inch shopping list help
Old 14th March 2005
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 04 1475 XLFU roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
TNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura about
Default Thanks...

I'd read (and posted) in that thread but still had some questions.

For some reason it seems like I heard somewhere that the 2004 and up heads are good to use as-is, but I can;t find any info like that again.

Also heard (I think) that some other stock 2004 parts are good as-is in the 88" setup.

Of course, new cams are a gimme.

I like my stock keihin carb, but I guess that's gotta go too.

I guess what I am looking for is a piece-by-piece shopping list SPECIFIC to the rubbermount engine, with emphasis on what parts can be reused. I want to make sure I do it right, but I don't want to spend too much of my sons college fund either!
Old 15th March 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 11 second 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '98
Other Motorcycle Model: about a dozen others.....
stevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the rough

You can use your heads "as is" but I wouldn't ... you're putting a LOT of money down to go 88" and you aren't gonna get what it's capable of with stock heads...

The stock CV is also gonna be a bottleneck .... so a 44CV or a 42 -45 mikuni (depending on cam size and intended rev limit)

If you email NRHS and tell them what you have and what you want then I'm sure Aaron or Justin will email you back a list of their recomendations
Old 15th March 2005
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Other Motorcycle Model: 2005 FXD Chopper Blue
barry1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo

The stock CV is also gonna be a bottleneck .... so a 44CV or a 42 -45 mikuni (depending on cam size and intended rev limit)

Hey stevo, wouldn't the cv give him great throttle response down low where he wants it? Also it's good to 100 hp or so too. Just a thought. He could sink the 400 from the carb into the heads or cams?
95 inch and more very soon.
Know Thy Hog

Old 15th March 2005

stevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the rough

Even if someone says they want low end torque... they're most likely gonna crack it up the top every now and again...the 40 WILL be a bottleneck to much over 100HP..
now if he runs mild cams and never revs it past 5500 then ya don't need any more than a 40CV

Carbs are a compromise....

I've found if you have a very well put together motor and a well tuned Mikuni it becomes hard to ride smoothly as the throttle response is VERY sharp...

A cv softens the power delivery a touch and makes it easier to ride relaxed...

It comes down to personal choice......I'm gonna be runnin the 40CV on mine to start with untill it's fully run in and I start chasin HP numbers....

I have customers with mildy worked 95" twinkies runnin 40cv's with no probs....
I've even got one that we took the Mikuni off and put a 40CV back on and it made no difference to max power output BUT made ther bike sooo much easier to ride.
Old 17th March 2005
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Narley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura about

soft n sluggish....
STOP TALKIN BOUT STEVO LIKE THAT!

The cannons don't thunder ,there is nothing to plunder.
My Caribbean yearnings 200 years late. I am a forty year old victim of fate. Arriving on the scene 2 centuries late. Alas I am glad still, for having found me best mate. With the wind in my sails...n the rubber side down, I cruise dangerous land ,they all know me in town. No parrot, no sword..with regular life I be bored. So I does what I can, We don't set ships a sail,we aint walked no planks, but we live best we can and for that we give thanks.
Old 18th March 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narley
soft n sluggish....
STOP TALKIN BOUT STEVO LIKE THAT!

C'mon Narley ..... I'm sharper than a wet towel....