The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
hawkeye (66), Rigpa (46), petersca (35)
Fix My Hog
883 Sportster
Energy One Clutches
Superbrace

Licks Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice

I will try this method for the intimidators.
Old 13th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Ducati
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
oldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to all

I found a variation on Xena's method that worked for my bike. I tried the breaker bar but was not getting the cap to thread. The height where I was holding on to the bar was too high above the forks to give me the leverage I needed, imo. I also have limited 'range of motion' in both shoulders that might be why the breaker bar method didn't work.

I decieded to use an extension on the socket instead of the breaker bar. This gave me greater control but I still had a problem. I could get the cap down the fork, but I didn't have enough grip on the extention to turn and start the threads. When I tried turning the socket, I was fighting holding onto the extension.

My solution was to slide a large deep well socket over the end of the extension. This gave me a larger diameter to hold onto (making holding the cap down MUCH easier). Then with my other hand I turned the socket and cap.

Old 13th July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883H/1200H
Sportster/Buell Year: '96
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000 w/elec. leg too
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '72
sportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant future

Great idea! Now you have something solid to push done with, but still free to rotate.

Sent using Tapatalk
Political Correctness never killed any terrorists.
Old 13th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
MindfulRider is on a distinguished roadMindfulRider is on a distinguished roadMindfulRider is on a distinguished roadMindfulRider is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the great tip!
Old 13th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
knut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldboy View Post

My solution was to slide a large deep well socket over the end of the extension. This gave me a larger diameter to hold onto (making holding the cap down MUCH easier). Then with my other hand I turned the socket and cap.
Good idea. Having varying lengths of steel pipe to use as extensions on breaker bars, socket wrenches, and open end wrenches makes a helpful addition to any tool box/chest.

Never had any difficulty putting on fork caps myself... but fascinating reading the different solutions people come up with...

Old 26th September 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 69
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 70
simeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to behold

Some wonderful Ideas and because I am getting old I will be building one of the clamp deals.

I have always used a sliding tee bar and an extension with the pin wrench for most tubes. But the newer bikes 73 and up have to have the nut screwed in on the spring which the tee bar and socket let's you put all of your weight on it, but why fight with the things if you don't have to.

+1 I like the clamp idea!
Old 7th February 2014
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200 Low
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki Boulevard C-50
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
vvosen is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright. For what it is worth. Position the cap on the fork with no spring and find where the threads catch. Mark fork tube and cap with grease pencil or tape. Then use any method above and turn it 1/4 turn to catch the threads and away you go. Did it with Zena's technique myself. I do like all the other devices too.