The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
Dead Creek Cycles
Motor Stage
Motor Stage
DK Customs

Licks Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
VT_Sport is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Frustrated by new Slip Ons

I have a basically stock 2008 XL1200L with 4,500 miles on it. This is my first bike and I enjoyed the heck out of it last summer/fall. While I will eventually fully pay my taxes, I decided to start with a mild exhaust upgrade. I do a lot of longer rides (60 mile commute) and wanted something that sounded better, but not to the point that I needed earplugs. I thought I wanted a deep, mellow rumble.

After doing a lot a reading here, listening to clips on youtube, and talking with everybody I could, I ordered a set of Rush Balony cut slip-ons with 2Ē baffles. (PN 18604-200) I put them on on Saturday. While it is true that the new mufflers did ďslip-onĒ the stock ones did not ďslip offĒ. Some rust had formed at the joint, and required quite a bit of persuasion to separate. I ended up scratching one, and tearing up the end of the the other when light taps with a brass drift became more spirited. Oh well, Iím replacing them anyway, right?

We had some great weather on Sunday here in Virginia, so I fired up the bike and rode about 40 miles. When I first fired it up, the grin on my face was obvious. It sounded awesome at idle, though a bit louder than I expected. However, the grin faded as the miles passed, and the resonance became downright annoying. Iím not sure exactly how to describe it. A harmonic frequency? Constant popping? (not backfiring). Like being backstage at a concert...music sounds right to the crowd, but not behind the speakers. It wasnít the rumble I expected and was not pleasant at all. I wanted earplugs by the time I got home.

Before the pipes had even fully cooled, I pulled them off. Iím not keeping them as is, and the bike is now sitting in the garage w/o exhaust. During the initial removal of the stock mufflers, I didnít loosen the pipes at the head, but did have more movement than I wanted to as I tried to get the old ones off. I looked, but didnít see any evidence of an exhaust leak at the head. Is there a chance I might have dorked up the gasket and that is my problem?

I figure I have a month or two to sort this out before spring. Iím not sure what to do:

Replace all exhaust gaskets?
Put the scratched stockers back on or buy a fresh set of takeoffs from someone?
Start changing baffle sizes in the Rush pipes until the resonance goes away?
Buy something quieter? Screamin Eagle? Other suggestions?
Upgrade the AC & add a tuner (PCIII or IV) and hope a richer mixture helps?
Buy earplugs?

Iím looking for suggestions & I might have some gently used Rush Slip-Ons for sale.
Old 3rd February 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2007 XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
DIESEL has disabled reputation

If you want a set of stockers, PM me, I have three sets.

Diesel
Old 3rd February 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
diggy16valave is an unknown quantity at this point

i thought you had to do a remap or installl a power comander when install slip ons or full pipes. do you have a windscreen. ? i took a friends dyna out and it was terrible with the windscreen installed we took it off and it was much better,
Old 3rd February 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
phmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enough

what about drilling out the stock pipes to give them a tad more growl?
Old 3rd February 2009
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggy16valave View Post
i thought you had to do a remap or installl a power comander when install slip ons or full pipes. do you have a windscreen. ? i took a friends dyna out and it was terrible with the windscreen installed we took it off and it was much better,
Yep, has a windshield. Didn't think about it until now, but I can see how the sound could bounce off and cause the echo or reverb that I'm getting.

Too bad I didn't pop it off yesterday and see if it made a difference.
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd February 2009
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by phmann View Post
what about drilling out the stock pipes to give them a tad more growl?
Sounds like a good option for my scratched up ones. Nothing to loose now.
Old 3rd February 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
phmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT_Sport View Post
Sounds like a good option for my scratched up ones. Nothing to loose now.
might as well try it right? I've heard them and I think they sound good. Are you able to return the slip ons? how bad could they be scratched? Can't be too horrible. And if anything you'll know how to drill out stock mufflers; you could attain some from guys on here really cheap and do it again.
Old 3rd February 2009
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by phmann View Post
might as well try it right? I've heard them and I think they sound good. Are you able to return the slip ons?
Doubt it. They are used now (just barely). I'm not worried about it. Somebody around here or on ebay could use them if I don't keep them.
Old 3rd February 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
FoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to behold

When I first got my Sportster it had some SE2s that had been 'modded' and were too loud, they were practically straight pipes. I got the annoying concussions you mention. I think its a low frequency shock wave from the exhaust that seems to make your head rattle.

One option to consider is to fit some additional baffles inside the ones you have. The best ones I found are the Khrome Werks ones, or the cheap universal ones on eBay are OK too. You might then be able to fix the new mufflers you have for about $20.

Fox
Old 3rd February 2009
Biker

"Concussion" is the word I couldn't pull last night, but it accurately describes the phenomenon. Thanks!

Can someone give me a quick lesson in baffles? For instance, Rush has 1.5, 1.75, 2.0 & 2.25 ones. I found a video on youtube with all four demo'd on a Sportster. The big ones sound deeper, but that is all I could really get from it. Is there any general rule regarding the tradeoffs as sizes change, or does it vary from bike to bike? What are the tradeoffs, or is it just tone? Why would adding additional baffling work better than just changing out the Rush ones to a smaller size, or is this just a cheaper option?
Know Thy Hog