The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > BUELL MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Buell Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
Lowbrow Customs
Biltwell
Sportster Specialty
Fix My Hog

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XL custom rat
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
uncle Brisco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 100ci kit on a 96 lightning

i found this sweetie in the middle of bfe and am going to purchase her but i was wondering, first i know nothing of the inerds but the fella bought the kit from a HD dealership, and it was installed by a competent fella, i don't know the brand yet or nothing but was wondering on a basic set up( yes i know there is nothing basic about a 100ci set up) what could a guy expect for rwhp,and about what kind of speed at what rpms can a fella expect, its killing me paceing around the house,i can't go ride it or buy it until saterday, the fella has no idea he just took it in and said "i want it to go fast", he says it is and it scares the hell out of him thanks for yer help
Old 3rd February 2009
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant future

100ci is normally the 4"x4" setup from S&S, which requires their "Special Application" cases. It's 1/2" wider on the cam box side and about 1/4" taller. People put them in Buells, but in the S1/S3 frame, the rear rocker box tries to bump the frame. Also some exhaust systems try to run into the cam box since it's sticking out a bit.

As delivered by S&S, that motor generally makes in the range of 115rwhp, depending on the pipe. It's capable of much, much more, though, with appropriate changes.

From a wear/longevity point of view, In my opinion it's not a very good setup. When you make a big motor short like that, you give up piston skirt. That motor ain't got much remaining. Fine for a race motor, though, or any application where long life is not a requirement.

Another popular kit in that size range is to put an Evo Big Twin stroke crank (4.25" stroke) with 3-13/16 bore cylinders, this gives 97ci and can be done on stock cases. But it needs real tall cylinders that would make the Buell fit problem even worse, so you don't normally see this one in Buells.

If it's not one of those two, I'm not sure what it is. You can build XL motors even bigger, but they won't fit a Buell.

Speed at rpm's is purely a function of the gearing.

Congrats and post more info when you learn more about it.
Old 4th February 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XL custom rat
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
uncle Brisco is an unknown quantity at this point

wow , i was wanting it to chop up and build a bike for the Stampead, but it sounds like it might not be the checker yes i want fast but i also want longevity, as i plan on rideing her for sevral years
Old 3rd May 2009
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster 882/1200-stold
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 08' 1125r <--bada$$
jmr1283 is an unknown quantity at this point

s&s 89" is a good option if longevity is a issue. the piston skirt are long. i had a set when i bought my 99". the crank for a 99" is the same as 89" so the 89" pistons were left over and used for making sure the 99" were with in 50grams so the crank would still be in the right balance. wiesco piston(3 13/16) were very close to the same as the 89" 3 5/8 so balance was good.

so if u want go go. and usuable power. then the 89" is a very good deal.
ur redline will be reduced to like 6200rpms but with the longer stroke u dont need the extra rpms because ur peak power is lower in the rpms then a stock stroke bike.

the 89" has close to stock longevity, but not stock.

then theres the option of a 88" stock stroke bigger bore. 3 13/16. great longevity. great power.

both will run about the same for $$

much less then a 100" i think its like 10 g's

i know this thread is old but a power geek is a power geek forever so u might check back one day