The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Burly
S&S Cycle
Dead Creek Cycles
Bison Motorsports

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th February 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Brandon Richrdella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fouling of plugs after a couple minutes of riding.

hello we had a touch of spring here in chicago. 60 outside. well i starterd my bike and was riding aroubd the block and it was foulong out the plugs. it has a super b carb with drag pipes kick only. but after i cleaned off the plugs she would start in 2 or 3 kicks. i could fell the bike running strong but after a couple mins it would stutter and no power. then shut down. i dont know? any help please.
Old 8th February 2009
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future

If you used the choke to start it, and let it idle with the choke on for a few minutes, that would foul the plugs. So what was your starting procedure? Should use the choke only to get it running, then choke off and use the throttle or throttle lock to keep it running.

Otherwise:
Was it running well before this?
What slow jet is in the carb, and how many turns out on the pilot screw?
[I am not familiar with that carb but others here are].
Old 8th February 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
FourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really nice

How long are you leaveng the enrichener on?
Are the plugs oil fouled? or fuel fouled?
First check the air cleaner and make sure it's clean.
Check the compression, if it's low, spray some WD-40 in the spark plug holes and let it sit overnight. If it's fuel fouled (black soot on the plugs) make sure you're not riding with the enrichener on, and pull the float bowl and spray out the jets and needle & seat with some carb cleaner. Also remove the enrichener and spray it out. There may be some varnished gas or dirt keeping it from seating.
Old 8th February 2009
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Richrdella View Post
hello we had a touch of spring here in chicago. 60 outside. well i starterd my bike and was riding aroubd the block and it was foulong out the plugs. it has a super b carb with drag pipes kick only. but after i cleaned off the plugs she would start in 2 or 3 kicks. i could fell the bike running strong but after a couple mins it would stutter and no power. then shut down. i dont know? any help please.
Dry fouled or wet-fouled?

Is it oily?

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Old 8th February 2009
Biker

its gas they are wet fouled. and the piolt screw is 2 1/2 turns it idles awsome and i cleaned every thing on the carb. its only after i ride it a little i feel it start to sputter. i got the bike on a trade and the guy i got it from got it on a trade. so i put some plugs and a battery and she fired up. cleaned the carb and idled and ran great but now 2 months later this.
Know Thy Hog

Old 8th February 2009
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Richrdella View Post
its gas they are wet fouled. and the piolt screw is 2 1/2 turns it idles awsome and i cleaned every thing on the carb. its only after i ride it a little i feel it start to sputter. i got the bike on a trade and the guy i got it from got it on a trade. so i put some plugs and a battery and she fired up. cleaned the carb and idled and ran great but now 2 months later this.
Just sounds pig-rich....a tuning is in order....
Old 8th February 2009
Biker

ya thats what i am thinking. i just gonna take it in. this carb is agervating me. if anyone has any other imput please let me know. thnanks everyone brandon
Old 8th February 2009
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future

2,1/2 turns out on the pilot screw is too much. What i would do is:
  1. turn it in until gently seated then out 1,1/2 turns
  2. run the engine until it is warmed up
  3. set the idle speed at about 1000 RPM
  4. counting by 1/4 turns as you go along, first turn the pilot screw in until the idle becomes a little rough, then turn it out, letting it go thru even idle, until it gets a little rough again
  5. set it in the middle of the two spots
This process is a little trickier than it sounds. You have to be careful to not burn your fingers on hot engine parts; listen carefully to the idle quality; enjoy all the damn noise!

First read the Stickys on carbs. There is one on cleaning, another on tuning, whatever.
Old 8th February 2009
Super Moderacer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLRR
Sportster/Buell Year: 91
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80
racerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant future

set the pilot screw the way Mick says....... but I don't think 2 1/2 turns out is that bad..... since it idles okay but fouls while riding I would be looking at the main jet..... sounds like it's too big (cuz you're sure you're not riding with the choke on)

Ww

Blue Locktite..... I put that sh*t on everything.....

"never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence"

"All The Way"
Old 8th February 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerwill View Post
set the pilot screw the way Mick says....... but I don't think 2 1/2 turns out is that bad..... since it idles okay but fouls while riding I would be looking at the main jet..... sounds like it's too big (cuz you're sure you're not riding with the choke on)

Ww
I dunno - he said it fouled riding around the block in the first post.

And adjusting the primary will tell him - if, after setting it properly, he's STILL fouling plugs, YEAH THEN look at the main...
Know Thy Hog