The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Discuss issues with Sportster motorcycle tires, wheels and brakes.

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
RYCA Motors
Superbrace
Motor Stage
Licks Holiday

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd December 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
dagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the rough
Default Does Avon mark the light spot on their tires?

I got an Avon Venom front tire and I'll be damned if I can find the light spot marked any where. It's a whitewall, so it's got the blue film on the stripe, and that blue stuff is put on a little sloppily as it's meant to come right off. Maybe the stuff wore off, but I'd be curious to hear from others who've mounted Avon tires how they mark 'em. Thanks.
Old 3rd December 2006
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you enlighten us on the "light spot" more? you talking about the balance point? they are quality tires made
in the U.K. that don't need it.

BTW- the blue film is to protect the white wall from getting scuffed or chaffed during shipment, it comes right off.

When life throws a curve...lean into it and open the throttle

The wind, weather, and two wheels...what else do you need??

Last edited by xllent01; 3rd December 2006 at 15:31..
Old 3rd December 2006
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1212 XL Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH STROKER
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1959
Jimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to behold

Generally on automative tires the manufacture puts a dot on the sidewall of the tire indicating the lightest point in the tire. It's for helping in balancing of the wheel and tire. The tech's are suppose to mount the tire with that dot in the area of the valve stem. At least that's what I've been told.
Old 3rd December 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

lagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbos883
Generally on automative tires the manufacture puts a dot on the sidewall of the tire indicating the lightest point in the tire. It's for helping in balancing of the wheel and tire. The tech's are suppose to mount the tire with that dot in the area of the valve stem. At least that's what I've been told.
correct. not all tires have them due to quality. the really good ones are balance internally and not needed. the really cheap ones are not marked cause they are to cheap to do this. the average michelin, goodyear, yokohama... will be marked
Old 3rd December 2006
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagerdrinker
correct. not all tires have them due to quality. the really good ones are balance internally and not needed. the really cheap ones are not marked cause they are to cheap to do this. the average michelin, goodyear, yokohama... will be marked
Cheap? who you calling cheap i wouldn't say Avons are cheap.

But if your calling me cheap thats ok.
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd December 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
dagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xllent01
Can you enlighten us on the "light spot" more? you talking about the balance point? they are quality tires made
in the U.K. that don't need it.

BTW- the blue film is to protect the white wall from getting scuffed or chaffed during shipment, it comes right off.
XLLent01 -- I never know when you're being serious Yes, light-spot = balance point. Lazy mounters will put the light spot of the tire aligned with the valve stem (usually the heavyest side of the wheel) and call the tire balanced.

On my new wheel, the wheel is 1 oz light at the valve stem hole (but since it's a tubed tire, that will change when the tube goes in).

Finally, I did find this elsewhere --- apparently, Avon does NOT mark their tires' light spots (balance points)...

http://www.dansmc.com/balancemark.htm
Old 3rd December 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

lagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xllent01
Cheap? who you calling cheap i wouldn't say Avons are cheap.

But if your calling me cheap thats ok.
i also sayed the really good ones arent marked either
Old 4th December 2006
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
toe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud of

The valve stem isn't always the heaviest spot............

The heavy spot on my rear (with the valve stem installed) is about 10 degrees away.. never bothered figuring out the front because it has a tube; I just assume the valve is the heavy spot.

The Only Y2K dual-set 883C
So Cal