The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
Progressive Suspension
Energy One Clutches
RYCA Motors
Energy One Clutches

883 Sportster

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th November 2004
Biker

sportydan has disabled reputation
Default Removing carb

I want to remove carb off of 05 883C.I have the HD service manual.I understand most of the removal process.The part I don't understand is removing the throttle cables.Manual just says to remove them.Once I get everything else disconnected do I pull carb out far enough to take cables off or is there something else I need to do.I had the dealer do the tax thing.But I'm getting a lot of spitting & sputtering when I first take off from a stop.Also when cruising I'll get a pop thru the carb once in awhile.I want to take carb apart and see just what he did to it.It has a Yost kit in it.He used the blue needle,installed a #165 main (original was #175) think he installed a #45 slow,because there's a #42 in bag.Other than that I don't know what he did.Also plugs are white indicating a lean condition.This I don't understand why.Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Old 28th November 2004
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 03
Other Motorcycle Model: Elecectra Glide Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2010
Chuck is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't remember if I had the cables off. I remember loosening them is all.
I would bring it back to who did the work, myself. That's part of the reason you have somebody else do it, to eliminate some headaches. If you do pull the carb you should probalbly replace the rubber seal. That could even be your problem. When you put the new one on, rub a little dish soap around it to let her slide on nice.
Good luck.
Old 28th November 2004
Greasemonkey

daPainta is an unknown quantity at this point

Put cables off is really simple when the carb is fully away from the manifold. Just hang them out (this round ends)
Old 28th November 2004
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

TAKE BIKE BACK TO STEALER FIRST THING MONDAY MORNING
ask friendly service guy about the jetting being wrong
and before you make a scene if they will fix it for free.
Any good stealer who wants to keep loyal customers will take it right in and get it fixed for you.
Take advantage of the stealers dyno machine, the dyno will get the
jetting right on the money. Any idot tech will read the directions
off the back of a box and then tell you that the jetting is just fine.

THE DYNO IS A TUNERS BEST FRIEND
Old 28th November 2004
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Heritage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

I agree with xllent01, if the dealer didn't get it right, then he should fix it, and most will be glad to do it if you ask. Chances are that you really do not have to remove the carb at all. MAybe just a slight adjustment to the idle mixture is all that is required. On an 883 with that needle, I wouldn't have installed the 45 slow jet though! If it were me, I'd have left the 42 slow jet, re-tuned the idle mixture, installed the blue needle and tuned it's height and would be running a 165 or 170 main.

However, if you really want to pull the carb off the bike, I find the easiest way and least stressful to the cables is to pull the carb, and then remove the throttle cable bracket from the carb top and side of the carb (two screws).

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
Screamin' Eagle 10:1 pistons
Stage 2 883 heads
Screamin' Eagle .497" cams
Screamin' Eagle Mikuni HSR42
Thunderheader
Forcewinder
Know Thy Hog