The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bison Motorsports  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Lighting
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
texrex (62), jjluvstoride (49), njstoehr (38), tacho75xlh (35), 80ironhead80 (25)
Dead Creek Cycles
Speedway Instruments
Sky Smith Insurance
DK Customs

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th February 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2007 XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
DIESEL has disabled reputation
Default I screwed up and need help

I ordered the wrong part from Zanotti's for the wife's bike. I sent them an email and don't know if they will take it back since it is electrical. I ordered the module that goes under the battery, not the turn/run/ module that plugs in.

I got the Nightster license plate assembly with the light for the plate. I chopped the fender, no more brake light, and I got dual filiment guts for the turn signals three wires each.

Can someone please tell me, like I am a 3rd grader what part I need to get from harley so I can make this work like the nightster rear end? I have no problem wiring the damn thing, I just need a simple explanation, so that the turn signals work as brake lights, running lights, and turn signals, and how to hook up the light for the plate.

I have searched several times, and just really need some help, thank you in advance.
Old 13th February 2009

Since I have dual elements for the turn signals, couldn't I just do some splicing and make it work without a turn/run module? Basically run the the wires the originally went to the tail lamp to one of the lamps on the dual element turn signals?
Old 13th February 2009
Super Moderacer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLRR
Sportster/Buell Year: 91
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80
racerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant future

on older cars that use 1 dual filament lamp per side, one filament is used for run only, the other filament is a shared brake/ turn light...... I don't know off hand how to wire it up like you want but I would just spend a few minutes with a test light and figure it out.

Ww

Blue Locktite..... I put that sh*t on everything.....

"never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence"

"All The Way"
Old 13th February 2009
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
Spadesluck is on a distinguished roadSpadesluck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESEL View Post
I ordered the wrong part from Zanotti's for the wife's bike. I sent them an email and don't know if they will take it back since it is electrical. I ordered the module that goes under the battery, not the turn/run/ module that plugs in.

I got the Nightster license plate assembly with the light for the plate. I chopped the fender, no more brake light, and I got dual filiment guts for the turn signals three wires each.

Can someone please tell me, like I am a 3rd grader what part I need to get from harley so I can make this work like the nightster rear end? I have no problem wiring the damn thing, I just need a simple explanation, so that the turn signals work as brake lights, running lights, and turn signals, and how to hook up the light for the plate.

I have searched several times, and just really need some help, thank you in advance.

For brake and running lights you can run the right along with the brake light. They can all share the same ground and the other 2 wires will be the hots for running light and brake light. For the turn signal just use the stock wire to make it flash. You will have four wire coming of the signal lights, 3 hots and a ground.

If you want your license plate to be on al the time just wire it into the the running lights.

Having a test light will help you out a lot.
Old 13th February 2009
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
capttawes is on a distinguished roadcapttawes is on a distinguished roadcapttawes is on a distinguished roadcapttawes is on a distinguished road

This might help... http://sportster.org/blog/how-to-ins...our-sportster/ just read down to the wiring part.

Old 13th February 2009
Non-ancraophobic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
AB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond repute

I though there was one in the classified(nightster light module)
Old 13th February 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

John at Zanotti's is very good with getting the right part numbers. If you don't get an answer back, maybe give him a call and tell him what happened. If you didn't tear up the package or the module, he may let you just send it back for the right one...

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 13th February 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Ferguson TO-30 Tractor
Other Motorcycle Year: 1953
honkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Since I have dual elements for the turn signals, couldn't I just do some splicing and make it work without a turn/run module? Basically run the the wires the originally went to the tail lamp to one of the lamps on the dual element turn signals?
Diesel,

I did this mod to my bike last year, I don't remember what wires go where, but I had the brake/turn module and swapped my duel filaments from my front signals. It took me a while, but I figured out the wireing to make the duel filament signals work with break/run/turn. I'm pretty sure I posted a thread or at least added to a thread here.

But it can be done with the brake/turn module.

2007 XL883, V&H SSS, Screamin Eagle A/C, PCIII, Chopped Fender, Chopped Cam Cover, Drag bars 6 1/2 Risers.
Old 13th February 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
John03XL883 is on a distinguished roadJohn03XL883 is on a distinguished roadJohn03XL883 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes you can just get a light tester and go at it should'nt take long at all
Old 13th February 2009

I ordered the module for the nightster. Since I have the same equipment it should be plug and play. Zanotti's is also going to allow me to return the part, minus 20 percent, but in the end it will done right.
Know Thy Hog