The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Lighting
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
Fix My Hog
Bison Motorsports
Speedway Instruments

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd December 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 (traded)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC Super Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Gary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the rough
Default Selective yellow headlight: My 3rd mod

I've had my new 883 less than a week and I've done three mods to it already. Oh no...

I've had a pair of H4 bulbs from France that have the selective yellow globe on them for twenty years. I got a friend of mine who was going to Europe to pick 'em up for me. At the time I was running E-code Hella headlights in my Benz, but I never got around to putting these bulbs in. They've been sitting on a shelf all this time. Now I get to use 'em.

Of course, now you can get H4 bulbs where the quartz glass on the bulb itself is selective yellow filtered, but back then it was done with a glass globe put on a std H4. For years selective yellow headlights were required in France. I like 'em because they stick out during the day to make you more visible, and at night they really do sharpen your depth perception.

To use the bulb in the stock headlight required the removal of the bulb shield. I'd planned to do that anyway to get rid of the annoying shadow the shield bracket makes in the foreground when you're running on hi-beams. (The bulb shield is put in low beam headlights to reduce stray (non-focused) light from the filament being reflected back into the driver's eyes in rain, snow, and fog. Since I don't intend to ever be riding in those conditions, I don't need the shield.)

Here's a couple pics:

Old 21st February 2007
BT Heathen

Sportster/Buell Model: FLHTPI
Casper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to behold

Looks good, Gary! I'll bet it does wonders at night. My only question is legality issues. Does the yellow light attract much LEO attention? I'm not concerned with how legal they really are, as I'm sure they're not (of course, my bars aren't legal up here either, so that's not a problem), but do you get ticketed/warned for them often? I'm only asking because the area I'm in is essentially a tourist area (meaning people partying at night, which means plenty of cops on the road), and a yellow headlight at night is a pretty noticeable beacon!

I need more Plan B's in my life. Plan A rarely works as advertised.
Old 21st February 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Looks good, Gary! I'll bet it does wonders at night. My only question is legality issues. Does the yellow light attract much LEO attention? I'm not concerned with how legal they really are, as I'm sure they're not (of course, my bars aren't legal up here either, so that's not a problem), but do you get ticketed/warned for them often? I'm only asking because the area I'm in is essentially a tourist area (meaning people partying at night, which means plenty of cops on the road), and a yellow headlight at night is a pretty noticeable beacon!
I'm not sure yellow is illegal in the states!!!

Red and blue are illegal but this gives an interesteing alternative if ok.....

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 21st February 2007
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Flyrite Rigid completed?
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
indyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
I'm not sure yellow is illegal in the states!!!

Red and blue are illegal but this gives an interesteing alternative if ok.....
I know that my yellow ion crystal bulbs are legal.
And I can see great with it and they (cagers) can see me.
Old 21st February 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice work Gary.
Know Thy Hog

Old 21st February 2007

Gary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the rough

As far as legality, you have to check your state laws.
Old 21st February 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I just noticed you're in Canada. You'll have to check and see if Ontario has any laws regarding headlights as well as Canadian federal law. I would be surprised if they are illegal, however.