The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Lowbrow Customs
Lickscycles
DK Customs
Biltwell

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th December 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster 883 xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
redhouse has disabled reputation
Default carb jets for new pipes...

anybody out there know what size jets i need to upgrade to for vance and hines short shots? i have a brand new sportster 883xl.
Old 8th December 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

new guy eh ! well welcome to the group ! did ya read jetting 101 in here?
http://www.harley-performance.com/ha...arburetor.html also look here http://www.sportster.org/tech/carb/rejetting.shtml good luck lets us know if ya need more helpyou do not have remove the carb to re jet ! you can do it just by removing the carb bottom ! (bowl)Find the four brass screws that hold the bowl on the carb. Using a phillips screwdriver that completely fills the slots in the screws remove them without letting the screwdriver slip and damage the screws. This may take considerable pressure. When removing the screws, hold the bowl in position until they are all out then pull the bowl off straight down. Be extremely careful... the floats are just inside the bowl. The rod will come out of the bellows and hit against the carb body... no you didn't drop it. Set the bowl (with dangling drain hose) aside some place clean. Note the brass tube on it that was sticking up in the carb mouth.nextLooking at the bottom of the carb, find the two jets. The main jet will be more or less in the middle, screwed into the emulsion tube and should say "160" on it for an 883, "170" on it for a 1200, or 190 on it for a Sport or International model. The emulsion tube will have flats on it for a 5/16" wrench. Hold the emulsion tube from turning with the wrench and using a common (flat) blade screwdriver that's wide enough to fill the slots on both sides of the main jet, unscrew the jet (counterclockwise).nextFind the slow jet on the carb bottom. It should say "42" on it and you'll replace it with a #45. It will be down in a tube cast into the carb body. You must find a screwdriver with a blade wide enough to fill the slots in the jet that doesn't taper wider above its tip, or it won't fit down into the tube to reach the jet. You may have to have a machine shop grind a screwdriver down so that it's shaft is no wider than the blade at the tip. Do not try to force an inappropriate screwdriver in or you will crack the cast carb body. Unscrew (counterclockwise) the #42 slow jet and replace it with a #45 slow jet. Tighten firmly, but do not strip. Do not use LockTite.this is only a starting point your slow / main jet size may vary
Old 8th December 2006
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
rikava has disabled reputation

I'm running '02, 883C with SE slip-ons and I'm running stock jets. Haven't really seen the need yet and I put 15,000 a year on my bike.

You said you have a new 883.... I was under the impression that they weren't carburated anymore.
Old 8th December 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

its an o6 model !
Old 8th December 2006
Biker

thanks guys,
no i have a 2006. bought it brand new off the showroom floor november 30th this year. the 07's are injected.
Know Thy Hog

Old 8th December 2006
Biker

here's me and the bike with brand new vance and hines short shot staggered pipes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00341.jpg (143.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 9th December 2006
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarejr
You must find a screwdriver with a blade wide enough to fill the slots in the jet that doesn't taper wider above its tip, or it won't fit down into the tube to reach the jet. You may have to have a machine shop grind a screwdriver down so that it's shaft is no wider than the blade at the tip. Do not try to force an inappropriate screwdriver in or you will crack the cast carb body.
You could just get one of these:

'The green machine'
Old 9th December 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883H/1200H
Sportster/Buell Year: '96
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000 w/elec. leg too
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '72
sportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhouse
here's me and the bike with brand new vance and hines short shot staggered pipes.
Hey cool bike and shop. Are you an airbrush artist? It looks it from your avatar. Do you have some examples of your stuff?
Political Correctness never killed any terrorists.
Old 9th December 2006
Biker

i do...but apperently i'm not allowed to promote myself or business without paying. so needless to say i can't give out my website or tell you anything about my business without someone else getting a piece of it.....SORRY
Old 9th December 2006
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883L
DieHard is on a distinguished roadDieHard is on a distinguished road

my 06 883 i'm running a 45 slow and a 180 main and 2 turns out on air/fuel mixture screw with se a/c and cycle shack slash cut exhaust. runs great.
Know Thy Hog