The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA MOTORS  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Accessories
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Accessories Accessory problems, advice, and/or how tos (Saddle Bags, Sissy Bars, Crash bars, Mirrors, etc

Members Birthdays
ziggyhd1 (56), greven (54)
Foxcreek Leather
Burly
Lowbrow Customs
Ironworks Magazine

BIKE BUILDER
Tags
2003, bolt, passenger, pegs, xlh

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th February 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
otistheaxe is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Passenger Peg solutions 2003 XLH

Okay, so I just got my first Harley a few weeks ago via sweet trade. I am trying to customize it and finding that, so far, 95% of what I buy for an "84-03 Sportster" doesn't exactly fit without some work. My most recent problem are the set of passenger pegs made by Harley Davidson. I get the mount on there fine with the 45 degree angle and all, but the right side mount is about 1/8" away from the pipe and rotating the passenger peg up and down will destroy the pipe. I'm a little bit more confused about this just because it's an actual Harley part that I'm trying to put on here. Are there any solutions for this? I am looking at possibly buying a Kuryakyn offset mount, but I can't find specifically if the bolt will fit in the passenger mounts. The ad says it will fit any 1/2" -13. Is this the size of the passenger mounting hole for a 2003 sportster XLH? Thanks in advance.
Old 17th February 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

gamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura about

I've got the H-D brand O ring style on mine. Bolt on, No issues. I do have a 2-1 pipe, but even when I had the stock pipes I don't recall an issue.

What pipes are do you have?
Old 17th February 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
otistheaxe is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the stock pipes. I can get it bolted on and even install the pegs, but rotating it comes in contact with the pipes. It wont let me post a URL because I haven't made enough posts yet, but the HD part number is 49105-83. I believe they're the same as your O-Rings, just rubber (which doesn't really make a difference for the problem I'm having).

The bike is still at stock height (no aftermarket shocks).
Old 17th February 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 88
hmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to behold

Can you adjust the pipes downward enough to so the peg clears it.
Old 17th February 2009
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by otistheaxe View Post
I have the stock pipes. I can get it bolted on and even install the pegs, but rotating it comes in contact with the pipes. It wont let me post a URL because I haven't made enough posts yet, but the HD part number is 49105-83. I believe they're the same as your O-Rings, just rubber (which doesn't really make a difference for the problem I'm having).

The bike is still at stock height (no aftermarket shocks).
your shocks may be worn out.. That's one idea.

another is that the exhaust is angled up a little too much in the rear.

Something doesn't sound right. I have mine rotated at a 45° angle and no problems.

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Know Thy Hog

Old 17th February 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
darth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to behold

You can gain some clearance by loosening the headers and shifting them just a bit. Also, the taller the shocks, the less clearance you will have.

My Gallery

Ol' Wrench Head of the White Werewolfes MC