The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
qrtsteve (60), johnboy (45), bmonty72 (42), superscythe (41), grahamc (29)
Dead Creek Cycles
Lickscycles
Fix My Hog
Energy One Clutches

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th December 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 (traded)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC Super Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Gary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the rough
Default For those V-Rod owners

For any of you XL owners who also have V-Rods, how does the V-Rod sound in comparison to the 45 degree v-twin in the Sportster? I realize the Revolution is 60 degrees, but if it's still a single pin crank it should be a potato-potato engine, right?
Old 11th December 2006
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: motorcycle
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Bastard mess of parts
Other Motorcycle Year: 1941
Dlish has disabled reputation

i dont have a v-rod but I remember seeing a special on its development and they put a lot of time into the making the sound just right. i have heard some really loud bad ass sounding vrods too
Old 11th December 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

I rode a V-Rod yesterday. Different engine, different sound, different feel.
Old 11th December 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Other Motorcycle Model: Mustang GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
XL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura about

Completely different. I rented one, and although I liked it, it did not have a harley feel or sound to it all.
Old 11th December 2006
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
cigarman has a spectacular aura aboutcigarman has a spectacular aura aboutcigarman has a spectacular aura aboutcigarman has a spectacular aura aboutcigarman has a spectacular aura aboutcigarman has a spectacular aura aboutcigarman has a spectacular aura aboutcigarman has a spectacular aura aboutcigarman has a spectacular aura about

Talk about dissing Sportsters--an old school guy I know calls V-rods "Hardley Harleys"
Know Thy Hog

Old 11th December 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

A ducati is a 60 degree twi. Heard one of those before? Sounds similar to me but I don't hear all that well.
Spoiled but definitely not rotten. Started life as a black 1993, 1200 Now-1218, Home ported 2009 FI heads, Andrews N6 cams, Dyna2Ki, JMC aluminum swingarm, Chainsikle custom mid forward controls, GBC inverted front end, 3 degree wide-glide trees and 5 degree raked cups. 18x3.5 fatspoke rear with 150/60 and 21x3.5 with 120/70.
Old 11th December 2006

Gary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the rough

I found this video of a V-Rod on YouTube. It doesn't sound like a split pin crank metric bike to me. There's definitely Harley DNA in that exhaust sound.

Click here.
Old 11th December 2006
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Nill
Swankster is a jewel in the roughSwankster is a jewel in the roughSwankster is a jewel in the roughSwankster is a jewel in the roughSwankster is a jewel in the roughSwankster is a jewel in the roughSwankster is a jewel in the roughSwankster is a jewel in the roughSwankster is a jewel in the roughSwankster is a jewel in the roughSwankster is a jewel in the rough

Stock exhaust V-Rod sounds like shit; but when you mount a Rhinehart system, the thing comes to life. Iv'e never heard a better sounding bike.
Swankster
Still BIKELESS & hating Life!
Old 11th December 2006

I don't think the one in the video is stock. Or if it is, it's been modified.
Old 11th December 2006
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Road King
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
jnlee3 is on a distinguished roadjnlee3 is on a distinguished roadjnlee3 is on a distinguished roadjnlee3 is on a distinguished roadjnlee3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary7
I don't think the one in the video is stock. Or if it is, it's been modified.
I understand what you're saying but it sounds a bit funny.

Sounds alright to me.