The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding Tips & Safety Advice
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding Tips & Safety Advice Got a question about your riding technique or safety issues?

Members Birthdays
Zanzibar, stvmike (60), Leroywulf (56), Erik (53), SoCal Harley (48), drew96 (36), Reverend_d (34)
Energy One Clutches
BIKE BUILDER
Licks Cycles
RYCA Motors

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th March 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
GOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enough
Default Green Just Means...

...You may go, not that you can go!

I was sitting on my bike at a red light. Big panel truck behind me so even if no one saw me, they had to see that truck. There's cars opposite me in bith the forward and turn lanes.

The lights turn green for all of us, meaning the turning cars are supposed to yield. I was just starting to ease on the throttle and off the clutch but the old guy across from me had me nervous cause he was looking straight ahead the whole time. Sure enough, as soon as the guy next to him strated go (forward) he just went ahead and turned left in front of me. Figured that was going to happen.

But then, the lady behind him went through. Follow the leader you know. And then a punk came zinging up and he went through. He was far enough back that I had started to ease out into the intersection. And the little SOB, he still goes through and then he points at me and flips me off!!! I'm getting older and find that repeating the names of my children helps calm my rage. Ten years ago and he and I woulda had a face to pavement driving lesson.

Thankfully I had the presence of mind to not just dump the clutch when the light went green. And even more thankfully, the guy in the panel truck behind me didn't either!

I know this one has probably been covered a bunch but still thought it was a good reminder to never take anything for granted out there.
Old 17th March 2005
Biker

Moved On is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought ths was going to be a Patty's day post.

Glad you had the Luck 'o the Irish with you and held back at the light!!!

There I turned it into a Patty's day post after all

Gazza
Old 17th March 2005

GOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enough

Oh man I have a ton of Irish in me and that never even occured to me! Thanks for rescuing me Gary!
Old 17th March 2005
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
883Hugger is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, nice heads up there! I still think you should have scared that punk a little.
Old 17th March 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by 883Hugger
Wow, nice heads up there! I still think you should have scared that punk a little.
I love my guns too much to risk a felony! But I'll tell you this, it's much easier to ride away from anger than drive away from it. Being on the bike kind of settles everything down after you start going again.
Know Thy Hog

Old 17th March 2005

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200R (totalled
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
PlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant future

Thanks for the reminder, GOTWA!

I have my little mantra I say when I'm riding..."You are invisible to these people...you are invisible to these people!"....and then I add at intersections, "You NEVER have the right of way unless someone gives it to you!" And as much as it frustrates me when "Dinklewads" do dumb shit that jeopardizes my safety, I also realize that physics will prove at 3,700 lb piece of steel/plastic will squash my 700+ pound of steel and flesh! I WILL lose at this battle...but that doesn't mean I can't win the war! Revenge is sweet!

Glad to see you played this just right, GOTWA! Other cities are known for being as bad or worse! In Phoenix, after a light turns red, I think it's customary for FIVE cars to continue the turn AFTER red!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/planb4/newport-1-1.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Old 17th March 2005
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Had a 1200 XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTP Electra Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
Confused89 is a name known to allConfused89 is a name known to allConfused89 is a name known to allConfused89 is a name known to allConfused89 is a name known to allConfused89 is a name known to allConfused89 is a name known to allConfused89 is a name known to allConfused89 is a name known to allConfused89 is a name known to allConfused89 is a name known to all

I was braking because a light just turned red and the semi next to me went. Semis can't stop on a dime. You kind of expect this in a city when everybody is going 50mph or more. But the dodge behind him went too. The light must have been red for 3 or 4 seconds. More than enough to stop a truck considering that I was already stoped when he went through the light. I have only ran one red light in my life and I am not proud of it.
Old 17th March 2005
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
mark883 is on a distinguished roadmark883 is on a distinguished roadmark883 is on a distinguished roadmark883 is on a distinguished road

Yeah- when I was riding out in Phoenix, I realized why everyone waits about 5 secs. after the light turns green. Sheesh! Here, green means go, but there, it means pause, then go slowly, cautiously. However, it is much warmer in Phoenix in March than Ohio.
Old 20th March 2005
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200 Custom
Other Motorcycle Model: UltraClassic ElectraGlide
Other Motorcycle Year: 1990
gunlocators is on a distinguished roadgunlocators is on a distinguished roadgunlocators is on a distinguished road

Idiots In Cars Well thats good you saw what was happening before it was too late....
Old 20th March 2005
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Geek is an unknown quantity at this point

You have much more control than I. Granted I am only 5'4 and weigh 150. But I would have chased the punk down that flipped you off and introduced him into the theory of "Cause and Effect".
Know Thy Hog