The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Lubrication and Lubricants
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Lubrication and Lubricants You guessed. Here is where everyone can argue over oil.

Members Birthdays
Lickscycles
Motor Stage
Biltwell
NRHS Performance Long 2

NRHS Performance Long 2

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 (traded)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC Super Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Gary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Decided to go with Rotella in my new 883

Changed the oil at 500 miles and decided to go with Rotella T 15w40. Because of my "adventure" trying to get the oil filter off (see other post), I in effect changed the oil twice, which was a good thing, more or less, because it enabled me to get all of the factory fill oil out, so now I'm running nothing but pure Rotella.

First impressions: Oil temp seems to be about the same. But the really noticeable difference is how much quieter the valve train is. You still get valve train noise from the top end, but it's much less intense now, and has a more "refined" sound at all rpms.

Three cheers for Rotella.

Old 20th December 2006
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883, for sale cheap!
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Ural Deco Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
SamC is on a distinguished roadSamC is on a distinguished roadSamC is on a distinguished road

I've used it, too; and used in in my Wing. It's a bargain. Of course, it's slightly lighter than the MoCo's recommended weight, but I doubt that makes much difference.
Old 20th December 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883H/1200H
Sportster/Buell Year: '96
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000 w/elec. leg too
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '72
sportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant future

The ratings for it say,
" Shell ROTELLA® T I5W-40 with Triple ProtectionTM meets the requirements of: API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, SM, SL; ACEA E7; Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-1; Cummins CES 20081; Detroit Diesel*; Mack EO-O Premium Plus 07*; Volvo VDS-4*

*draft specification, subject to final OEM confirmation"

The MCV 20W-50 I run is rated API SG, SL/CF; JASO MA/MA2; SAE 90; API GL-1
I see the SL and CF is common and Harley says to use a diesel oil if you get in a pickle. Good luck with it.

We ran Rotella T in our SULLAIR Diesel air compressors where I used to work.
Political Correctness never killed any terrorists.
Old 23rd June 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
mglowe is on a distinguished roadmglowe is on a distinguished road

I too would love to run Rotella T 15w40 in my 883 but I'm concerned the summer temps 90+ would exceed the limits of the 40 weight oil. What distracts to my concern is that in my Yamaha FZ6 which was water cooled, the engine temps went lower when I switched to Rotella T.

Personally, I could give a crap less what min. (10W vs 20W) I need to run for the lowest outside start temp as H-D gives us -- I would rather know what the max outside temp should be for a particular weight (40, 50 or 60). Here we have temps usually less than 100 deg.s for summer riding (mostly highway). Can the 15W40 Rotella T hold up to those temps? I suppose I could buy the oil temp dipstick and compare.
Old 23rd June 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: 650 Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
xHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nice

Rotella T used to be my preference of oil, till I started running Mobil 1 extend synthetic oil.

Rotella T is designed to stand up to turbo diesel requirements.
883 / 1200 conversion, shrink ported high velocity heads, milled .020 off the compression side. stainless steel tulip conversion valves. 10:1 wiseco forged pistons. "W" cams, Crane HI-4E ignition module, forcewinder AC. mustang seat, Progressive springs, RK-shocks, fork brace. metzeler me880 tires, headlight modulator. PIAA intense white H4 bulb
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd June 2009
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

We sell this at Tractor Supply, so I get a discount...

I think my next oil change will be with Rotella...

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Old 29th September 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Gunmetal Blue
Sportster/Buell Year: 03
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda VLX
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
Coolride has disabled reputation

Mines at 8K, and still doesn't look broke in, but I use CI-4 Walmart Supertech diesel oil. I use that in my 05 Cummins too, and my oil samples are great even at 8500mile intervals with my truck, could actually go further in my truck the lab said.
Old 29th September 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster Delux 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
benton has disabled reputation

Isn't 20-50W still the recommendation? Proper weight is going to be a whole lot more important than the brand. I do know that the weight system is not linear, so you can't assume 40W is just 80% the viscosity of 50W. Be sure to keep an eye on your running temperature!
Old 29th September 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: SPORTSTER CUSTOM
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
tele' player is an unknown quantity at this point

jumping in here i am curious too on the recommende wt. i don't any work on mine since my wreck my mechanic does it all. explains everything well and is super cool also loves sporsters. i use amsoil but never got the wt. i assumed its 20/50.
Old 19th October 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
mglowe is on a distinguished roadmglowe is on a distinguished road

benton your correct, 20-50W is still the recommended but I'm not convinced it's the best weight for the outside temps we're having. 20W-50 in the morning at 40░ F cannot be good - 15W-40 is better in my mind.

I think with my OAT reaching no higher than 70░ F, 15W-40 will do just fine. In fact I've change to it [Rotella] and so far see no problems. In the summer I'll certainly switch back.