The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Lowbrow Customs
RYCA Motors
DK Customs
Energy One Clutches

BIKE BUILDER

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2005
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL w/ 1200cc conversion
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
Nurple has disabled reputation
Default 10mm or 12mm banjo

What exactly is being measured at 10 or 12 mm?
Old 18th March 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Turbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really nice

Any metric bolt you buy is measured at the threads ... A bolt that is sold as a 10mm may have a 14mm head that requires a 14mm wrench to tighten.

NRHS Stage 2 Heads / NRHS 10.5-1 Thunderstorm Pistons / Zipper's 567 Cams / Mikuni HSR42 Carb
RevTech Roller Rockers / Andrews Adj. Pushrods / RB Racing 2-1 Exhaust / Twin Tec TC88A Ignition
Old 18th March 2005
Know It All

Other Motorcycle Model: VRSCR
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
Speedy818 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK Ron, does that just apply to metric bolts? what about SAE?

now let's go back to metric bolts, since that's what we're talking about before - is the measurement taken at the edge of the threads, or on the inside? If you measure with a dial caliper the outside of the threads on the bolt, then the inside of the nut, there would be a difference of twice the thread depth, right? That might be outside of the tolerances - which measurement is the right one (or neither).

The reason is: I've got an FXDX braided brake line that I'm going to put on my 1200R - which has a wierd banjo bolt at the master cylinder (I think it's 1/2"/ 12.7mm) If I ream out the banjo fitting to the size of the threads on the bolt, will that be too large?

Speedy
Old 18th March 2005

Turbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really nice

I have not read the info in this link, but I believe it will explain everything you want to know about fastener sizes: http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-in...t.aspx#general

Here is something that costs no more than 5 bucks that is readily available. Seems like you could put it to good use:

Old 18th March 2005
Know It All

Other Motorcycle Model: VRSCR
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
Speedy818 is an unknown quantity at this point

This may be the best internet site I've ever found (except for www.xlforum.net)!

Thanks!!!
Speedy
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th March 2005
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL w/ 1200cc conversion
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
Nurple has disabled reputation

Thanks for the input. I think I need to clarify further. I am in the process of looking for all new banjo bolts for the entire brake system. The basket case i picked up did not come with these items. Better yet, the brake system is a combination of parts produced over the past twenty years. So unfortunately, I can't go to good old JP's and order a standard replacement set for an 86 xl.

So, the real reason I asked the question. The front brake line is an OEM off a ~97-99 dyna. The master cylinder end clearly requires a 7/16" banjo bolt with 24 threading. The caliper end requires a 3/8" with 24 threading. So, at which point in the equation is the 10mm or 12mm taken into consideration?

The only thing I can figure, is that the thickness of the Banjo fitting is 10 or 12 mm. I say that because when I hold the two ends side by side the caliper end is thicker than the master cylinder side.
Old 18th March 2005

Nurple .... I wish I could be of some help, but I'm not sharp enough with the problems your faced with ...

Maybe someone one else here could lead you down the right path.
Old 18th March 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XL Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 8830XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: XLS Roadster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
AeroSport has disabled reputation

Nurple... The 10mm or 12mm refers to the size of the Banjo fitting opening. The bolts themselves can be metric or SAE. Metric size banjo bolts have 2 thread pitches 1.00 and 1.25 mm. the SAE is usually 3/8" x 24 threads. New HD's use Metric thread Banjo bolts but I'm not sure what thread pitch. Hope this helps

2007 1200XL R
RB Racing 2:1/ Mini Max/Power Vision / Dyna FXDX cartridge forks/13.5" Ricor IAS /Willwood/EBC front brakes/Lyndall Metal Matrix rear and much more
Old 21st March 2005
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
neckball is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The 10mm or 12mm refers to the size of the Banjo fitting opening.
FWIW, a 10mm banjo and a 3/8" banjo are one in the same. Some of the aftermarket performance plumbing company's (Earl's, for instance) will have two part numbers but the banjo is the same. The difference will be in the banjo bolt.
Old 21st March 2005

Sportster/Buell Model: 11 second 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '98
Other Motorcycle Model: about a dozen others.....
stevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the rough

just to add to this..... HD uses 2 bajo bolt sizes...

a 10 and a 12... one is for twin disc master cyls and the other for singles....and I can't remember which is which off the top of my head...

the 10mm and 12mm refers to the major or outside diameter....

a 10mm or 12mm banjo bolt or washer refers to the inside diameter or hole of the banjo bolt or washer