The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
collinsb (70), bulldog1200C (56), DrBlond (51), Moonpie (49), mercybeat (44), mogwai (40), Ratster, E.MCCOLLOM (37)
Lowbrow Customs
Energy One Clutches
Motor Stage
Dead Creek Cycles

NRHS Performance Long 2

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: SportyXL
Sportster/Buell Year: '08
Selaretus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sporty pushrod tube removal

Hey kids,

Can you remove push rod tubes on late model Sportsters (once rocker boxes are removed of course) without removing cyl. heads? Tanks loads!

Dirk
Old 25th February 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Standard
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Fackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura about

THink so. Get the service and parts manual. You'll be glad you did.

Reb
2000 Xl1200 V&H straightshots, SE aircleaner, highway pegs, deluxe seat, sissy bar, luggage racks, saddle bags, and QD windshield. Made to be comfortable while I haul ass. Black and chrome. Man is she pretty.

Back Home in Alabama - How sweet it is!
Old 25th February 2009
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selaretus View Post
Hey kids,

Can you remove push rod tubes on late model Sportsters (once rocker boxes are removed of course) without removing cyl. heads? Tanks loads!

Dirk
Once you remove the rocker boxes, then take out the pushrods, then un bolt the push rod tube bases, then you can remove the tubes from the bottom. so you don't have to take off the head..

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 25th February 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: SportyXL
Sportster/Buell Year: '08
Selaretus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, buddy!

I have a manual but it is vague on push rod tube removal; throws that operation in with cyl. head removal. I think I can remove the tappet covers
and slide the tubes up and out once they are out of the way. Thoughts?

Had a school chum who lived in Hueytown, Alabama. He refused to believe that NY State wasn't all pavement like NYC. *LOL*
Old 25th February 2009
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: cb750
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
Gojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the rough

i think ive read somewhere thats its not good to do on the rubbermounts,the solid mount bikes have no problems pulling them with the heads on,you need advise from someone with an 04+ bike,just me .02$
Know Thy Hog

Old 25th February 2009
Red Beard Cycles

ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selaretus View Post
Thanks, buddy!

I have a manual but it is vague on push rod tube removal; throws that operation in with cyl. head removal. I think I can remove the tappet covers
and slide the tubes up and out once they are out of the way. Thoughts?

Had a school chum who lived in Hueytown, Alabama. He refused to believe that NY State wasn't all pavement like NYC. *LOL*
Which manual do you have ??

No after living in NY state my whole life (just about) only a small portion is covered in concrete..

Most of it is wide open wilderness and farmland.
Old 25th February 2009
Red Beard Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojira View Post
i think ive read somewhere thats its not good to do on the rubbermounts,the solid mount bikes have no problems pulling them with the heads on,you need advise from someone with an 04+ bike,just me .02$

you could be right,. my experience is with a solid mount but I don't think they changed it that much
Old 25th February 2009
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

You can get then out, but you can't put 'em back without taking the heads off.
'The green machine'
Old 25th February 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
steelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojira View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddTigger View Post
you could be right,. my experience is with a solid mount but I don't think they changed it that much
I sailed in to a similar thread recently, giving detailed instructions on how you don't need to pull the heads, etc (since I know that the fitting to the head is the same). Then someone with a rubbermount pulled me up on it, saying that you definitely cannot remove the push rod tubes on rubbermounts without first removing the heads. Must be the way they're fixed at the bottom

I guess that's progress for you
Old 25th February 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
steelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
You can get then out, but you can't put 'em back without taking the heads off.
I don't understand that, Nigel. Does anyone have a photograph of the bottom fixing detail on a rubbermount (below the bottom retainer) to satisfy my curiosity?
Know Thy Hog