The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Chopper & Bobber Talk
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Chopper & Bobber Talk Talk about your Sportster motorcycle chopper or bobber!!.

Members Birthdays
go2fast (61), SixMilesFromHell (56), thespis (56), julian (52), chopperdave (50), shawn4057 (42), KC_Sporty_Gal (40), david04883 (32)
Speedway Instruments
CV Performance
Foxcreek Leather
Biltwell

Licks Holiday

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
carspanc will become famous soon enoughcarspanc will become famous soon enoughcarspanc will become famous soon enoughcarspanc will become famous soon enoughcarspanc will become famous soon enoughcarspanc will become famous soon enough
Default springer front end

So I may have found a really good deal on a springer front end and since I'm doing a frame swap soon I might pull the trigger on it.

Anyway I just need some sizing clarification. For a frame with 0 stretch and 33* rake and running a 21" front wheel I need a springer 21" from axel to bottom of tree right?
Old 26th February 2009
Harley Engineer

VTWINSCOOT is on a distinguished roadVTWINSCOOT is on a distinguished roadVTWINSCOOT is on a distinguished roadVTWINSCOOT is on a distinguished roadVTWINSCOOT is on a distinguished road

What's the goal... to have the (lower) frame rails level with the ground? If that's the case - you really should consider the size of the REAR tire. Also- I'm assuming your getting a rigid frame?
I've got a rigid with 33* rake, running a DNA (-2) springer front end. 21" spool hub up front (with a Speedmaster) and a 18x5.5 (180mm Metz) out back. I ended up flipping the rockers to get the frame rails level-er, but it was close without it 'em being flipped (see my gallery). Don't quote me, but I thought stock was 24" or 25"?
Old 26th February 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: yamaha yz250
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
rvwalke is on a distinguished roadrvwalke is on a distinguished roadrvwalke is on a distinguished road

the rear of my fame is dropped 4" running a 130-16 rear tire and i have a -2" DNA springer with a 21" stock HD front wheel and hub. looked good as is but i too flipped the rockers to level out the frame rails.