The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Members Birthdays
go2fast (61), SixMilesFromHell (56), thespis (56), julian (52), chopperdave (50), shawn4057 (42), KC_Sporty_Gal (40), david04883 (32)
Motor Stage
Motor Stage
Biltwell
Motor Stage

Lickscycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd December 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is this a good deal?

My indy said this is what he would do: new harley 1200 cylinders,
wiseco forged pistons (9.5 compression) stock cams ect. He said about 12-15
hp and about 18lbs tq. About $1250 +tax.
Anyone have any suggestions or comments?
Would sending my cylinders out to get bored and having him install them save me any $?
Just looking for some passing power and to make up for the gearing
change I did to lower revs @ highway speed. Nothing too radical.
Thanks -jp
Old 22nd December 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Hugger/Buell XB12S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell 1125CR
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
PuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura about
Talking

These guys will bore out your 883 cylinders to 1200 for $100...
http://www.revperf.com/xl.aspx

Depending on what pistons you want to use, you can spend anywhere from $150 (possibly less) to $300. You can find JE piston sets on Ebay all day long for $200 buy it now.

Your gasket kit may be around $100 or so.

Parts total can be as little as $350, on up to thousands depending on what you want to do to it. If someone else is doing the work for you, you will probably spend more on labor than you would on parts.

The Nallin 1212 conversion is $500, and it includes everything you need for the conversion.

If you're not afraid to do your own wrenchwork, you can save yourself a heck of a lot of money. Doing the 883/1200 conversion isn't too difficult, even without a service manual. There is plenty of good info on the forum, and if you have any questions, the guys (and gals) here are always happy to help.
Old 22nd December 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 2002 883
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2004 883
Other Motorcycle Model: TRI ROCKET 111
c pierce has disabled reputation

If you would rather have your indy do it that sounds about right.
Old 22nd December 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

I think that's a little high. Pistons should run you $200 to $250. Cylinder boring about $150 to $200. Top end gasket set about $89. Labor around $250
Old 22nd December 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

lagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp883
My indy said this is what he would do: new harley 1200 cylinders,
wiseco forged pistons (9.5 compression) stock cams ect. He said about 12-15
hp and about 18lbs tq. About $1250 +tax.
Anyone have any suggestions or comments?

Thanks -jp
nrhs 1250 iron kit(10:1) with se 497 cams. around 1100. for both and do it yourself. 63hp and 75ftlbs. and totally streetable. or just do 1250 kit. very high quality.
Know Thy Hog

Old 22nd December 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Hugger 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
maddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut
I think that's a little high. Pistons should run you $200 to $250. Cylinder boring about $150 to $200. Top end gasket set about $89. Labor around $250
This estimate sounds about right. My Indy will do a 9.5:1 Wiseco conversion
For around $750 to $800. I think your Indy is rippin you off.
His power estimates are way off too. Expect 50 pct more HP and 65 pct more TQ.
Your Indy is obviously not a machine shop so he wants to sell new HD 1200 Cyls
instead of boring yours out. Find an Indy who does engine work, not just bolt on
work.

Night Train + Street Fighter= NIGHT FIGHTER

MY GALLERY

"It's just a Sportster, but I'm saving up for a Big Twin."
That's like saying...
"It's just a Corvette, but I'm saving up for a Station Wagon."

STEPHANIE FELD
HOT XL MAGAZINE
SUMMER '97

He was asked, "Why do you ride?" He considered the question carefully for a few moments. "The Lean", he replied.

Last edited by maddog; 23rd December 2006 at 00:02..
Old 23rd December 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everybody for the imput i appreciate it. I thought the price was a little high also. I mentioned the NRHS option to my dad (has worked on his 3 big-twins) He said something to the effect of we could do the job, but doing it properly takes percision that a real mechanic can provide. He was also worried about the 10:1 compression in their kit. Said he was worried about detonation. I guess I've got some thinkin' to do.
Thanks again! -jp
Old 23rd December 2006
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
rikava has disabled reputation

Yep! $1200 is high unless you like the guy and he needs the extra money. I was just given a quote here for $850
Old 23rd December 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Hugger/Buell XB12S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell 1125CR
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
PuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp883
Thanks everybody for the imput i appreciate it. I thought the price was a little high also. I mentioned the NRHS option to my dad (has worked on his 3 big-twins) He said something to the effect of we could do the job, but doing it properly takes percision that a real mechanic can provide. He was also worried about the 10:1 compression in their kit. Said he was worried about detonation. I guess I've got some thinkin' to do.
Thanks again! -jp
Most guys on here run around 10:1, and as long as you adjust the timing as needed, and run higher octane gas as needed, there should be no problem. Some guys run 11:1 or higher, with no issues. Also, the extra compression may net you an extra couple horsepower vs the lower.

I don't understand what your father means by "doing it properly takes precision that a real mechanic can provide". It helps to have some mechanical experience, but there are dozens of people on here who have done the work themselves who are not mechanically inclined at all.

If you're willing to pay attention to detail and take the time to do it right, you should have no problem. Also, a Service Manual is a huge help. I've had my bike for years and just recently picked up a service manual. It provides an absolute wealth of knowledge and breaks down everything step by step. It was one of the best $50 I've ever spent. I've also got a Clymer manual, and the H-D Service Manual is a much better reference, since it is specifically for your bike's model and year.
Old 23rd December 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Dyna Low Rider
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2004
Shamdog is on a distinguished roadShamdog is on a distinguished roadShamdog is on a distinguished roadShamdog is on a distinguished road

If you're goung to spend $1,200 anyway - Get the $1,300 "Special, secret" kit from NRHS. 83 hp is sooo much better than 63. Do the work yourself...it's all bolt on stuff.
Know Thy Hog