The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Wardog (65), ZeD (62), JamieSporty95 (42), JStrong (37), llsmketr, Phelan (29)
Motor Stage
Motor Stage
NHRS Performance
Lickscycles

Zippers Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th March 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTP
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
SHEEPDAWG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starter Question

Ive read the starter pinion gear thread and Am Having a similar problem..But slightly different, want your guys opinion*..Brand new solenoid and Bendix gear..tested the starter with primary cover in place. it engages the bendix to gear just fine and turns the motor over but only a few seconds and then makes a clattery free spin sound..I can release the starter button and redo the process..If you were counting engine sounds it goes> ( in lopes) 1-2- Free spin or 1-2-3- free spin..does this sound like a loss of current problem or a starter problem?? anyone else ever have this?
Old 4th March 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of light

Low battery or bad cables or starter drawing too much current. These starter systems must have a fully charged battery. Do a voltage drop test across the battery cables, check for heat at any connections. What does the battery voltage drop to when cranking?
Get a battery tender to keep your battery fully charged, it will pay for itself by doubling the life of the battery.
Old 4th March 2009
Biker

thanx ryder rick..the battery is brand new and fully charged ..I will let ya know the current drops tonight..I replaced the starter relay just for the hell of it (12$)just to take a piece out of the puzzle..nothing changed..if cables are good and battery is good.. what starter components would be bad? Bendix is new along with the Solenoid..Ill check the draw ASAP
Old 4th March 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1000cc Ironhead Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: 96 KDX200 Dirt Bike
russzx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to all

New sometimes doesn't mean it isn't faulty, or a crap imported product!!
Old 4th March 2009
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by russzx6 View Post
New sometimes doesn't mean it isn't faulty, or a crap imported product!!
First thing I thought of Russ* It sure seems to lock tight the one way to me..anyways...its jumping down from 12.58 to about 7.48 on my meter at the battery when I hit the starter button..I need an extra hand before I can give ya the cable and starter readings..
Know Thy Hog

Old 4th March 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
FourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEPDAWG View Post
First thing I thought of Russ* It sure seems to lock tight the one way to me..anyways...its jumping down from 12.58 to about 7.48 on my meter at the battery when I hit the starter button..I need an extra hand before I can give ya the cable and starter readings..
Charge up the battery then take the battery to an auto parts store and have them load test it.
It shouldn't have dropped below 9 volts or so.
If it checks out, you have excessive resistance somewhere in the starting circuit. Maybe a shorted starter winding or a solenoid winding or just a bad connection. If there's a problem in the starting circuit and your voltage is dropping that much you're going to feel heat wherever the problem is. Feel the starter, solenoid/relay, and connections. If they're hot there's excessive resistance.
I would have the battery load tested out of the bike first.
Old 4th March 2009
Biker

Thankyou...soif it tests good you're sayn a short inside* the starter the copper windings?...can it be fixed or is that easier to get a new starter?
Old 4th March 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
FourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEPDAWG View Post
Thankyou...soif it tests good you're sayn a short inside* the starter the copper windings?...can it be fixed or is that easier to get a new starter?
If it ends up being a starter winding it would be best to replace the starter.
Old 4th March 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1000cc Ironhead Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: 96 KDX200 Dirt Bike
russzx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to all

I remember a while back Hopper had bought a new battery . . .then had problems . . .replaced a few hundred $$ of other parts and it came back to the "new" battery which had a couple of faulty cells. A load test will be the true test, a basic way i test an acid cell battery is when you are charging it . .see if all the cells are bubbling . . .one not bubbling is a sure sign that section is faulty
Old 4th March 2009
Biker

ok guys I appreciate the help as always*..Ill let ya know..
Know Thy Hog