The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
CV Performance
RYCA Motors
Superbrace
Burly

CV Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd January 2007
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
1200C is on a distinguished road1200C is on a distinguished road1200C is on a distinguished road1200C is on a distinguished road1200C is on a distinguished road
Default "T" Bar install and relocate speedometer

Ordered some 1 1/2" "T" bars couple of days ago, 6" rise, 28" width.

Been pondering what to do with speedometer, my favorite I found here on the fourm was a guy who started a thread that said he relocated his to a box in his garage. I considered this however kept looking for a solution.

I mainly wanted to keep it to keep track of mileage and tripometer (as a gas gauge). I did not find any good answers, I could not afford a 600 dollar digital, and all the aftermatket mounts for stock stuff did not mount up to a 1 1/2" bars.

I finally decided to make my own and mount it on the frame just under the ignition switch.

"T" bars should be in Friday I hope.

D

If ya can't beat em, join em. Then beat em...

My 15 minutes of fame sticky thread... [url]http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=47848[/url]

My wife's admirable endeavor and website... [url]http://www.cfsafe-t.org[/url]

Last edited by 1200C; 23rd February 2007 at 04:29..
Old 3rd January 2007
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Check out this tiny dakota speedo for $300, just another option.

Watch e-ghey cause these units will come up for around $250 sometimes.

When life throws a curve...lean into it and open the throttle

The wind, weather, and two wheels...what else do you need??
Old 3rd January 2007
Harley Engineer

1200C is on a distinguished road1200C is on a distinguished road1200C is on a distinguished road1200C is on a distinguished road1200C is on a distinguished road

xllent01, Appreciate the info, saw that one too, even the 300 would be quite a stretch right now, also wanted to keep the bars clean even from the instruments, thanks much though.

D
Old 3rd January 2007
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: Victory High-Ball
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Roadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura about

It'll be pretty difficult to see with it like that, especially with the wide tank, but if you only want the odometer and trip meter, it'll work.
Old 3rd January 2007
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
dbd_1964 is on a distinguished roaddbd_1964 is on a distinguished road

Great idea! Do you have any detailed photos of the mounting bracket you made and how it is installed?

[CENTER]My Gallery
[url]http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php/ppuser/954/cat/500[/url][/CENTER]
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd January 2007
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: This & That
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
hoosier xlc is a name known to allhoosier xlc is a name known to allhoosier xlc is a name known to allhoosier xlc is a name known to allhoosier xlc is a name known to allhoosier xlc is a name known to allhoosier xlc is a name known to allhoosier xlc is a name known to allhoosier xlc is a name known to allhoosier xlc is a name known to allhoosier xlc is a name known to all

How about a mini speedo mounted to the rockerbox?? I see them mini speedo's on Ebay all the time. Just a thought.

The mount you have fabbed up is way cool, good job!!
Old 3rd January 2007
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
SaltLick is on a distinguished roadSaltLick is on a distinguished roadSaltLick is on a distinguished roadSaltLick is on a distinguished road

well im in the same boat, have 1 1/4" T bars with 6" risers coming in the mail now. There is only a few options for the speedo. Mount it off the forks, or mount it off the headlight brow, ive seen a few people mount it backwards which looks the best to me, anyway you slice it the dam thing sticks out like a sore thumb. I like your idea.
Old 3rd January 2007
Harley Engineer

You guys are not gonna believe what I used... Once I got the speedometer apart Im looking around (keep in mind I've been planning this and looking for about two weeks now) for something to mount it in. I actuall came across a stainless, with a chrome look finish, drink shaker in the kitchen. I noticed the opening looked as if it would fit and it did perfectly. I simply cut it down to the proper height, cut some grooves in it for two hose clamps on the back side, mounted the reset button on the bottom and there you have it. I'll try for some closeup shots of how it mounts in the daylight tomorrow. I also fabbed a bracket that the two bolts that held it onto the old mount fit into to attach it to the side of the new mount. It just clamps onto the frame just below ignition.

D
Old 3rd January 2007
Harley Engineer

Don't mind the crud, photos taken in the dark, but heres the mount. Will probably try to disguise the clamps, paint them or something, any suggestions?

D

Last edited by 1200C; 23rd February 2007 at 04:29..
Old 3rd January 2007
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
dbd_1964 is on a distinguished roaddbd_1964 is on a distinguished road

Looks great! Do you think it will hold up ok?
Know Thy Hog