The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum CV Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
DaddyJay, sixshooter (67), cartoad2001 (65), Dirty Ernie (59), bri1200c (51), pquirk (48), GOTWA (45), gremlinsteve (45), lbowles2 (43), Guess (35), rnaway22es, landon283 (26)
Speedway Instruments
NHRS Performance
Energy One Clutches
Biltwell

Lickscycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th March 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Baggedcereals is an unknown quantity at this point
Default preload for a 09 1200 custom

Hey guys....was wondering how yours rides with the preload set to max load for riding 2 up. Do you bottem out at all? Do you set yours all the way to 5?

Thanks
Old 9th March 2009
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what this will tell you. It depends on the weight of the riders, the kind of roads you ride on, the way you ride, …
'The green machine'
Old 9th March 2009
Biker

just seeing what everyone sets there's at. and how they ride on the settings.
i know the bumppy roads suck...and i will more than lickley bottem out.

how much does setting the preload to max help you guys?
Old 9th March 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Electra Glide Ultra Class
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Urrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of light

Like Folkie said it matters more what weight you are carrying at the time and the style of riding and the smoothness of the road. I am about 240lb ready to ride and the other half is about the same and I set my 2005 1200c to position 4 for me and 5 for 2 up. It still bottomed out so I changed to 12" Progressive 412 heavy duty. I now ride on position 2 and 4 for 2 up and am very happy with the ride, So much so that I now have replaced the fork springs with the Progressive ones.
Old 9th March 2009
Biker

i weigh 165 and the wife weighs about 150. Should i be ok with the stock shocks? or should i look into the progressive set
Know Thy Hog

Old 9th March 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Electra Glide Ultra Class
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Urrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggedcereals View Post
i weigh 165 and the wife weighs about 150. Should i be ok with the stock shocks? or should i look into the progressive set
Its only you who can make that decision. Read the manual or search here how to set the rider sag. How does it ride now. Almost any shock will bottom out if the bump is severe enough. You just want to adjust them for a comfortable and safe ride.