The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Lubrication and Lubricants
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Lubrication and Lubricants You guessed. Here is where everyone can argue over oil.

Members Birthdays
Mr.P (50), G-man1965, Dietoride (45), mct496 (43), JuggaloCujo (31)
Biltwell
Foxcreek Leather
Biltwell
Bison Motorsports

Licks Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th January 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
MakuaKane is on a distinguished roadMakuaKane is on a distinguished road
Default Just Voided my Warranty

I noticed my oil was getting a bit dark so I decided to change it. H-D did the 1k and 5K service with H-D oil. She's just under 8K now.
I changed to Redline 20w-50 and a K&N filter. Both good products.

When I was dumping the old oil into the bucket, I noticed what looked like fine copper glitter in the oil when in the sunlight. I called up the dealer to ask if this was normal and explained what I'd done (above). Ooops. He was a little upset and said that's why they like to do the oil changes so they can keep and eye on things, and ....... that I'd just voided my warranty. Shouldn't have used Redline. Not designed for air cooled engines.
Ok I said, what about AMSOIL Motorcycle oil? Noooooo! he says.
At this point it became very clear to me. They wanted ALL my money, not just a little now and then. Fortunately for me, now I get to save my money and do the services myself and not pay them any longer. Warranty is void anyway right?

I'm not able to recall the specs at the moment, but isn't the thermal breakdown temp higher with Redline than H-D regular oil? And since I'm not using the Redline in the Tranny, I shouldn't have to worry about any friction modifier problems.

I just became the only AMSOIL dealer on my island, so you can be sure I'll be using that when I get squared away with the rest of my paperwork.

Thanks for letting me vent

[URL="http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=4676"]View My Gallery[/URL]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]2006 Sportster Roadster (yellow pearl), Thunderheader, Forcewinder A/C, 48 slow jet w/2.5 turns out on the mix screw, 200 main jet, 1 brass shim under the needle, TwinTec tc88a igniton module and coil, Krankvents, ISO grips, and Progressive 412 shocks and fork springs, and a few other doo-dads.[/FONT]
Old 8th January 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

Sounds like bull to me. 'Course I voided my warranty when I swapped out the swing arm, welded in a new seat area and put in a new oil tank to hold all that synthetic stuff I'm going to be putting in mine!!!!!

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 8th January 2007
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sold
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
ed_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of light

It may be expensive but I figure I can't go wrong with Syn3.

Sorry about your troubles. It sounds like the dealer just found himself a loophole.
Well ... that explains a lot.
Old 8th January 2007
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1212 XL Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH STROKER
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1959
Jimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to behold

Actually your warranty cannot be voided by using a different oil. This topic has been discussed on this forum in the past. They only way H-D can void the warranty on that motor for not using their oil is that they have to supply their oil for you to use "free". If they supply the oil for free and you don't use it and there is failure due to using a different oil they can then void your warranty.

That dealer is just pulling the normal bull!!!t with you. Tell him that you are going to talk customer service and see how he reacts. Good chance he changes his tune.
Old 8th January 2007
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 04R
Snuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbos883 View Post
Actually your warranty cannot be voided by using a different oil. This topic has been discussed on this forum in the past. They only way H-D can void the warranty on that motor for not using their oil is that they have to supply their oil for you to use "free". If they supply the oil for free and you don't use it and there is failure due to using a different oil they can then void your warranty.

That dealer is just pulling the normal bull!!!t with you. Tell him that you are going to talk customer service and see how he reacts. Good chance he changes his tune.
Jimbo said it all
Know Thy Hog

Old 8th January 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice

I know ive seen older posts about this topic, and some legal rights you have even if you do your own service work. Main thing is save your receipts and upc's off of boxs for the oil and the filter. I have always done my own maintenace, while in warranty i used HD oil filters. I used mobil one since 5k change and still use HD filters.
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial"][FONT="Arial"][FONT="Arial"][/FONT][FONT="Arial"][/FONT][FONT="Fixedsys"][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]2004 883 custom, softail heritage handlebars, spoked dyna rear wheel, 1200c stock rear pulley, softail deluxe rear lights, dyna 10row oil cooler, shovelhead hard saddlebags with roadking air shocks. A few splashes of bling here and there.

My Gallery: [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"][URL="http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2447"]http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2447[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
Old 8th January 2007
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually your warranty cannot be voided by using a different oil just keep your recipts and a log of dates and miles
Old 8th January 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

skratch has disabled reputation

as said previously, they cannot void your warranty because you did not use their oil. the law that addresses this is the magnuson-moss warranty act. if you use an oil that is comparable in specs to hd oil, then you are fine. if there is an issue, they have to prove that it was because of what you did that caused the failure, ie. if you have an engine failure it was because of the oil you used. if you have a totally non related issue, they still have to honor the warranty. they cannot deny a warranty claim for brakes because you used a different motor oil.

you should call customer service and let them know what kind of crap their dealer is pulling.
Old 8th January 2007
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
mark883 is on a distinguished roadmark883 is on a distinguished roadmark883 is on a distinguished roadmark883 is on a distinguished road

Remember the old VU meters on old amps and tape decks?

Well, if my bullsh1tometer was connected to your phone, the meter would have been bouncing hard into, and off of, the red zone, making that little 'tink-tink-tink' sound.

Pure, total, and absolute BS. If you've got 8k mi on your bike, the engine most likely won't blow up at this point due to an oil related problem anyways (but they could still not deny an oil problem, because of reasons above. You changed your oil. Good boy). An exhaust shield might fall off, a clutch cable may snap, etc. but the warranty would still apply to these items, they are totally non-oil related.
Old 8th January 2007
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
mikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant future

didn't someone post in here not to long ago that harley recently had a bulletin go out recognizing that amsoil was a safe oil to use in HD's? Thought I remember hearing that. Chris should be able to clear this one up.

Hammer 1250 kit W/ 30░ reverse dome pistons
Hammer billet 2" forward offset open air cleaner
Hammer billet intake manifold
Hammer Impact 560's
Buell xb heads with crush level head porting
Mikuni HSR 45
175 main
25 slow
Clip 3rd slot from top
Jim's powerglide II lifters
Sledge hammer pushrods
Supertrapp supermeg exhaust 20 disks and open end cap.
S&S roller rockers
Alto Carbonite clutch with Energy One 15% heavier spring plate.
Daytona twin tech single fire ignition
Ricor intimnators
13" Ricor IAS shocks
Brembo dual disk setup from a 2012 street glide with matching brembo street glide master cylinder
Koso T&T multi function speedo/tach

Know Thy Hog