The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Members Birthdays
883 Sportster
Figure Machine
Lowbrow Customs
Lowbrow Customs

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1988 4 speed XL 1424cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 88
Other Motorcycle Model: 2003 Road Glide 95" stg 2
Stephen Lowry will become famous soon enoughStephen Lowry will become famous soon enoughStephen Lowry will become famous soon enoughStephen Lowry will become famous soon enoughStephen Lowry will become famous soon enoughStephen Lowry will become famous soon enoughStephen Lowry will become famous soon enough
Default Red Shift Cams

Any one have any experience with RS .729 or .785 cams (five speed) or
.723, .785 (four speed). I have "old" .625's in old blue. I was just thinking, oh shit here I go again. I already have jims big axel tappets, S&S lifter blocks, titanium pushrods and roller rockers, so the valve train is ready if it's worth a try..............
Old 12th March 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 89
xlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura about

I'm sure someone at AHDRA.com has used them. I doubt too many guys on here have any experience with them, since most are street engines on here.

Any pics of them S&S lifter blocks? I've never seen nor heard of them.
Old 12th March 2009

Stephen Lowry will become famous soon enoughStephen Lowry will become famous soon enoughStephen Lowry will become famous soon enoughStephen Lowry will become famous soon enoughStephen Lowry will become famous soon enoughStephen Lowry will become famous soon enoughStephen Lowry will become famous soon enough

They don't look that special, just a liitle bigger and whittled out of billet, they are stronger though. I'll post a pic.
Old 12th March 2009

Hope you can see them OK. They aren't any thing like a Jesel valve train.............

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12th March 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

xlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks. Never knew those were ever made. I bet they were pricey.....
Know Thy Hog

Old 12th March 2009

They aren't that bad, but I can't remember, they are for four speed cases, because as you know they are replaceable. They can also be used on S&S cases with four speed cam chest and five speed tranny. Much easier to trim for maximum effort cams............
Old 12th March 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

Yeah, mine's a 4 spd. But never seen them. Fortunately, I'm only running the 536's. Nothing too big,
Old 12th March 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1350 S+S
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1995
Other Motorcycle Model: Screaming Eagle Ultra
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
ol38y is a glorious beacon of lightol38y is a glorious beacon of lightol38y is a glorious beacon of lightol38y is a glorious beacon of lightol38y is a glorious beacon of lightol38y is a glorious beacon of lightol38y is a glorious beacon of lightol38y is a glorious beacon of lightol38y is a glorious beacon of lightol38y is a glorious beacon of lightol38y is a glorious beacon of light

Steve, I'll tell ya what little I know about them. The .785 5 speed are no longer available. The .729's have more TDC lift then the .785's. I've been told the .729's are more suitable to a long stroke motor. I'm not sure they would be a good choice for your build. You might look at the .643's for your motor.

I know a guy out here on the left coast that has had many bikes in mags and swears by the .723 4 speed cams.

The bigest advantage to the RS cams is being able to get the lobes unwelded. I think for what you are trying to achieve you will want to degree the cams and then weld them.

You'll have an email pretty quick also.

Larry

Ol' Chief Larry of the Dirty Ducks MC
Old 12th March 2009

Larry, this is for the 88" motor not the GenII engine, just trying to get a little more out of old blue first. I've been told they don't make .643's for four speeds anymore, but as you know they'll make anything if you talk to them and the money is right. Andrews said they would grind anything I want for about $600.00. looking forward to your email..........steve
Old 12th March 2009

Xlint: And I thought I was the only one here with an "old" four speed.
Know Thy Hog