The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Biltwell
Lowbrow Customs
Bison Motorsports
Fix My Hog

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st March 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDWG (Dyna Wide Glide)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
dave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura about
Default Inspect/lube steering bearings

My 10,000 mile checkup is coming up on Lilybeth (2004 1200C). One of the items specifies that the steering bearings should be inspected and regreased.

Anybody done this? How hard is it to do? Do I have to remove the front wheel and forks? Yes, I have a manual...
"Lilybeth"
Old 24th March 2005
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 03
Other Motorcycle Model: Elecectra Glide Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2010
Chuck is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave
My 10,000 mile checkup is coming up on Lilybeth (2004 1200C). One of the items specifies that the steering bearings should be inspected and regreased.

Anybody done this? How hard is it to do? Do I have to remove the front wheel and forks? Yes, I have a manual...

Damn Dave, 10,000 miles and year old. You must not even own a car.
My bike has a grease fitting. I just keep it greased. I have about 15,000 on my 98.
Old 24th March 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTCU
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
txsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished road

My '03 has a grease fitting also.

If yours doesn't then I would take it apart and check it!!

I pulled my tree's apart just recently to change them out with a powder coated set and was Very surprised at how little grease there was in there!!!

The Manual for my bike tell you to grease them through the fitting until grease comes out of the top and bottom dust shields!!

To pull it apart wasn't that difficult just a pain!!!

Hope that helps!!
Old 24th March 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

dave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Damn Dave, 10,000 miles and year old.
I just passed my one year anniversary (3/19). I love it! I think I would sleep with "Lilybeth" if my wife would allow it.
Quote:
You must not even own a car.
What's a car?
Quote:
My bike has a grease fitting.
I didn't even think to look! I also love bicycling (and do my own wrenching), so I sorta assumed that the whole front end would have to be disassembled just like a bicycle. Whew! I'll take a look for grease fittings tonight.

Thanks!
Old 24th March 2005
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 03
Other Motorcycle Model: Elecectra Glide Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2010
Chuck is an unknown quantity at this point

I must have pumped mine 30 times before grease started to come out.
Know Thy Hog

Old 24th March 2005
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

I greased my '98 thru the fitting - regret it mucho. Warm weather and it oooooozzzzes out at the bottom. Makes a mess. Best to take it apart, clean it up, and put in just enough new grease. You do not need much! Just use good quality stuff.
Old 24th March 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick
Best to take it apart, clean it up, and put in just enough new grease.
How much disassembly is required to get to the bearings? Are there upper and lower bearings?
Old 24th March 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Last night, I took a good look at my manual and at Lilybeth. I see nothing in the manual about a grease fitting, and I don't see one on the bike either (2004 1200 Custom).

So I guess I will have to do some disassembly to get to the bearings. The manual, unfortunately, has nothing to say about this procedure. It just has an exploded diagram and the words "inspect and lubricate the steering bearings". Gee, thanks...

So again I ask: Anybody have any guidance for me on how to do this? Hopefully, I don't have to disconnect the front brake, remove the front tire, and remove the forks to get to the bearings...
Old 25th March 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I guess nobody out there can help me..?

Just wanted to know if there were any guidance / suggestions for the disassembly required to service the steering bearings.

Oh well...
Old 26th March 2005
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

I dismantled the whole front end of my 1980. Have not done that on my '98 or on any of my previous bikes. I am surprised that the manual is not much help. Perhaps a Clymer manual would be better. It is not a difficult job. But i would think that a manual would be necessary.

The hard part with the '80 was putting the wireing and parts back together in the correct sequence. I had to dismantle and re-start 2 times. But i was putting it back together a couple months after stripping it down. It would be easier done on a single weekend, say.
Know Thy Hog