The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
excel50 (73), blazer95 (64), mycle1000 (59), Barryn37 (53), QBALL (53), paulieb (52), cfranz (41), BMXATV (40), ravyn3 (35), Texas_Wild, hillpope (32)
Superbrace.com
Superbrace.com
Foxcreek Leather
S&S Cycle

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th March 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
dkjdsn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tools to have when Riding

Do you guys take your tools when you ride ..... just in case??

I saw some HD tools Kits on ebay..........Anyone have these?? Which ones are the best for the $$

http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkw...romZR40QQ_mdoZ

Thanks
David<><
Old 13th March 2009
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 08 1200N
Other Motorcycle Model: GS1150 (x2)
Lud is just really niceLud is just really niceLud is just really niceLud is just really niceLud is just really niceLud is just really niceLud is just really niceLud is just really niceLud is just really niceLud is just really niceLud is just really nice

my one gripe about harleys .. no place to put spanners n stuff .. i dont want a tool roll / bag etc..

i think you could make a better quality kit for not a lot of money... lots of which you prolly have kicking about anyway...

adjustable wrenchup to 20mm jaws / set of imp spanners in the sizes you need (short handles for the lil ones) micro ratchet & torx drive heads / reversable screwdriver.. fuse/ bulb cable ties & a leatherman..

if i was pushed I'd have a leatherman, a small adjustable spanner & the torx drives

To be honest if it breaks worse than what oyu can fiox with that your proly not going to try and repair it on the side of the road..
i've stripped out clutch baskets and stuff onthe side of the road before now. and TBH i'll get recovered nowadays (god i've got old )
Old 13th March 2009
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Here's some information for you..

Swingarm Mounted Tool Bag-Pics

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 13th March 2009
Senior Bike Builder

mjbogrand has disabled reputation

There was just a tool thread last week.Maybe on the second page now.
But tool bag and stuff is a good thread!

I have a leather tool bag I carry,or I just made some ammo cans in to saddle bags.
With these I can carry some tools,a bottle of vodka,hide my gloves while at the store,extra sunglasses(yellow for dark times),little things from the store.

But there is some cool little bags and boxes out there to look at.
All you really need is a couple allens, maybe a couple torx,phillips sd,a flashlight.
These bikes just don't have a good spot to hide a tool bag.
Old 13th March 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Short Chop
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1962
Blaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to all

I've got a fork bag that I put the tools I want in...couple screw drivers, those multi piece torx and allen wrench combo thingies (what the hell do you call those things anyway) a few wrenches, tape, and zip ties. (prolly a couple of odds and ends I 'm forgeting).
Way better than what any "roll" will have in it.

And I'm glad you brought this up...I took mine off when I mounted my apes, but it's gonna rain this week-end so, installing it on my down tubes, I think, will be my week-end project!

In a world of deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of revolt.
Know Thy Hog

Old 13th March 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl883c
YeaItsSlo has disabled reputation

ball pein hammer
Old 14th March 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha Maxim
Other Motorcycle Year: 81
auslander is an unknown quantity at this point

Leatherman, zip ties, some leather thongs, extra fuses, extra light bulbs, dielectric grease, self-fusing electrical tape, and some allen wrenches.

Oh and +1 on the swingarm mounted bag. I did mine with a soft bag but it has rings on either end and I tied them with leather thongs to keep the bag stretched out and also to keep it from ending up hanging below the swingarm. I did have it on the downtube but it got so nasty from road grime and soaking wet in the lightest rain. On the swingarm it stays clean and dry and blends in so it's not a temptation to anyone.
Old 14th March 2009
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
arab1302 is a jewel in the rougharab1302 is a jewel in the rougharab1302 is a jewel in the rougharab1302 is a jewel in the rougharab1302 is a jewel in the rougharab1302 is a jewel in the rougharab1302 is a jewel in the rougharab1302 is a jewel in the rougharab1302 is a jewel in the rougharab1302 is a jewel in the rougharab1302 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslander View Post
Leatherman, zip ties, some leather thongs, extra fuses, extra light bulbs, dielectric grease, self-fusing electrical tape, and some allen wrenches.
You know, I had leather thongs too, but I found that they chafed too much, so I switched to a nice pair of cotton thongs. They look nice with my chaps. lol

As for tools, I carry a cell phone and credit card.
Old 14th March 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200n
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
sololow1200n has a spectacular aura aboutsololow1200n has a spectacular aura aboutsololow1200n has a spectacular aura aboutsololow1200n has a spectacular aura aboutsololow1200n has a spectacular aura aboutsololow1200n has a spectacular aura aboutsololow1200n has a spectacular aura aboutsololow1200n has a spectacular aura aboutsololow1200n has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeaItsSlo View Post
ball pein hammer
yep, for those uhhhhh adjustments huh? i carry one too along with another sharp, sharp tool also just in case.
Old 14th March 2009
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

a book of matches
thank god for darwin
Know Thy Hog