The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Chopper & Bobber Talk
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Chopper & Bobber Talk Talk about your Sportster motorcycle chopper or bobber!!.

Members Birthdays
Wardog (65), ZeD (62), JamieSporty95 (42), JStrong (37), llsmketr, Phelan (29)
S&S Cycle
NRHS Performance Long 2
Motor Stage
Lickscycles

Speedway Instruments

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th March 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
aleccvhs has disabled reputation
Default Suicide/jockey shift.

New to this forum and have seen alot of threads on jockey shifts, thought i'd post up pics of mine. 80% of the parts were already on the bike, shortened down stock clutch cable. Used passenger peg mount to hold the clutch cable in place(still have adjustment) Used rear brake lever just cut the pad off and welded it on other side. other than that it was just some old bike pegs a piece of pipe and a gnarly lever i got from a buddy a couple years back. Let me know what you think.

Old 16th March 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
PaulDM has disabled reputation

The angle on the clutch pedal scares me. it looks likely for your foot to slip, say from oil off the road sometime, (there's a reason those are called suicide clutches).
2007 XL 883 - 1/4 Harley Fairing - ISO grips and pegs - Mustang Vintage wide - Adjure Reflector & PIAA bulb - 50 State Mufflers - ABS front fender - Tail pack for stuff - HyperPro progressive fork springs - Whittlebeast rear shocks = Rocky Mountain Sport Tourer :-)
Old 16th March 2009
Biker

Yea i noticed a lot of people have theirs at a higher angle, not sure how that is comfortable? my heel lays right up on the front of the case and it's very easy and comfortable to engage and disengage the clutch. I'm also 6'2" so maybe my reach is a different then some of the others??
Old 16th March 2009
Biker

Riding position

Clutch disengaged
Old 16th March 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Short Chop
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1962
Blaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to all

Nice!!
Love the use of the upside down brake pedal...it's hard to tell from the pic, what is that holding the clutch cable right behind the pedal?
And where did ya get the acme shift ball...that kicks ass!

In a world of deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of revolt.
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th March 2009
Biker

Its looped around a metal sleeve so the bolt and the cable have no friction. Than i used these little pieces you can get at any hardware store to crimp the cable, same way a garage door is done.
As for the shifter that entire lever was off an old piece of shop equipment, the ball is actually formed onto it. I just had to make a sleeve inside of it with a set screw to hold it on the spline.
Old 17th March 2009
Flat Track Racer

sportxlh has disabled reputation

very nice: innovative: I like it
Old 17th March 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Short Chop
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1962
Blaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleccvhs View Post
Its looped around a metal sleeve so the bolt and the cable have no friction. Than i used these little pieces you can get at any hardware store to crimp the cable, same way a garage door is done.
Yeah, I got that part...it's just typical industrial cable clamping. I do that all the time at work...I'm asking about the part holding the cable behind it...it looks like a peg "arm" or what ever it's called that highway pegs mount to with a hole drilled through it, maybe??
Old 17th March 2009
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: 1987 Yamaha YSR50
kilroykarr is a jewel in the roughkilroykarr is a jewel in the roughkilroykarr is a jewel in the roughkilroykarr is a jewel in the roughkilroykarr is a jewel in the roughkilroykarr is a jewel in the roughkilroykarr is a jewel in the roughkilroykarr is a jewel in the roughkilroykarr is a jewel in the roughkilroykarr is a jewel in the roughkilroykarr is a jewel in the rough

That's slick. great job man. How did you do your rear break setup on the other side? Can I see a pic of how you mounted that bar on the frame? Thanks
Old 17th March 2009
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
Yeah, I got that part...it's just typical industrial cable clamping. I do that all the time at work...I'm asking about the part holding the cable behind it...it looks like a peg "arm" or what ever it's called that highway pegs mount to with a hole drilled through it, maybe??
It's the passenger peg mount off of the swingarm.
Know Thy Hog