The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
stevervp, philvet (71), outlawreb (59), rabes56 (58), Bigmatt (56), Beaker666 (50), hippiemwc (50), wumm883c (48), 2wheeltodd (47), israel (42), Stitch (37), Dekooy (31), Ameri-Deutsch (30)
DK Customs
Energy One Clutches
Motor Stage
RYCA Motors

Licks Holiday

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDBi Street Bob
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
OutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura about
Default Piston's Which way?

I've got a question about pistons.I have an 80 sportster which I bought completely taken apart and the guy I bought it from said when he took the pistons out that when you look at the motor from the front he tapped both wrist pins out to the right so he would know which position to put them back in but he forgot one thing .The original pistons only have one pocket on one side of the dome so this means I dont know which piston was in front or back.What I need to know is does the pocket go to the exhaust side or the intake side?Thanks
Old 20th January 2007
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
seajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Intake valves are bigger and require more clearence.
04/07 76"C NRHS #2 11:1 .590 cams TP rockers TC88A HSR-42 S&Sac LSR 2-1
Old 20th January 2007

OutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks that is what I thought but before I did anything wrong I thought I would ask
Old 20th January 2007
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 02
kledhead has disabled reputation

Sounds like you got your piston problem figured out. But your handle "Outlaw Texan67" is the coolest handle on this site- I like it!Maybe cause I once had a 67 Shovelhead chopper. Anyway,cool name. Are you really 67?
Old 20th January 2007

Default OutlawTexan67 Handle

Thanks kledhead I got the nickname OutlawTexan when I was in the Army and as for the 67 thats my birth year
Know Thy Hog