The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Burly  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > GENERAL AREA > Off-Topic/General Discussion
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Off-Topic/General Discussion Here is you can submit non-Sportster related topics. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION PLEASE.

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
Licks Holiday
Speedway Instruments
Burly
Motor Stage

Licks Holiday

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th March 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
FoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Here's how to get steel splinters out of your fingers

I seem to get quite a few slivers of metal stuck in my fingers from using steel wool or picking up bits of swarf when I have been drilling. Unlike wood splinters which dissolve or are generally large enough to see and pull out, metal splinters seem to burrow their way in and leave that little stabbing pain sensation when touched that tells you something is in there. Here's how I just figured out to remove them...

First you need an old hard drive from a PC; if its not the sort of thing you have lying around then try the local PC shop, they throw them away on an almost daily basis. Gently remove the metal cover of the hard drive with a sledge hammer and chisel (or screwdriver if you want to pansy about). There is an arm that moves over the disk surface and what you need sits under the fixed end of this arm. Undo the screws holding the arm mechanism in place and you should find two shiny flat "super magnets". These are very strong magnets, much stronger that your normal magnets.

To remove your metal splinter you just need to pass this magnet over the painful area and with a bit of luck the splinter will be sucked right out. I've just tried it with two splinters and both came straight out.

Have fun.

Doc Fox
Old 20th March 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1203 XLH/Buell Hybrid
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
williamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to behold
Cool

Super tip Doc;

I have one of these magnets stuck to the lower outside (and out of sight) of my oil tank to capture any metal shavings that may be circulating around. I also use one when I drain my primary oil. Hold and run it along the underside of the casing a few times then up to the plug hole (plug removed) to drag anything out of there...
Old 20th March 2009
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1990
brimic is a jewel in the roughbrimic is a jewel in the roughbrimic is a jewel in the roughbrimic is a jewel in the roughbrimic is a jewel in the roughbrimic is a jewel in the roughbrimic is a jewel in the roughbrimic is a jewel in the roughbrimic is a jewel in the roughbrimic is a jewel in the roughbrimic is a jewel in the rough

Ooh, I'll have to try that out someday. We have a superconducting supermagnet at work -nuclear magnet resonance machine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_magnetic_resonance The only bad part is that its powerful enough to suck a sliver through your finger the wrong way
Old 20th March 2009
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Softail Deluxe
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHX Street Glide
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200N (sold)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
funnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimic View Post
Ooh, I'll have to try that out someday. We have a superconducting supermagnet at work -nuclear magnet resonance machine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_magnetic_resonance The only bad part is that its powerful enough to suck a sliver through your finger the wrong way
Ouch!! is it portable? I might need one at work, since I'm surrounded by steel.
Old 20th March 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
tensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimic View Post
im thinking i may not want to be anywhere near a magnet like that as my shoulder and knee are screwed together. however it would be quite a sight

Old 20th March 2009
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1990
brimic is a jewel in the roughbrimic is a jewel in the roughbrimic is a jewel in the roughbrimic is a jewel in the roughbrimic is a jewel in the roughbrimic is a jewel in the roughbrimic is a jewel in the roughbrimic is a jewel in the roughbrimic is a jewel in the roughbrimic is a jewel in the roughbrimic is a jewel in the rough

Yep, ferrous or electronic (pace makers) are completely out of the question. The thing will kill your credit cards if you forget to leave your wallet outside of the room.

One of my coworkers has had surgery on his shoulder a year or so ago, and has screws, but he hasn't had any problems- must be titanium or nonmagnetic stainless screws.

Quote:
Ouch!! is it portable? I might need one at work, since I'm surrounded by steel
Ours is pretty small, its only a 300Mhz unit, but its still a stainless tank that stands about 6' high and is about 3' in diameter.
Old 20th March 2009
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensejed View Post
im thinking i may not want to be anywhere near a magnet like that as my shoulder and knee are screwed together. however it would be quite a sight
No MRI for you. I seen the magnets on the MRI rip a mop out of a janitor's hand on a safety training video. Makes anything steel a deadly missile.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 20th March 2009
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: None
Sportster/Buell Year: None
Kirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaskins View Post
No MRI for you. I seen the magnets on the MRI rip a mop out of a janitor's hand on a safety training video. Makes anything steel a deadly missile.
There was a news article a while back I read about how someone tried rushing a gas cylinder into the MRI room, because they were out of oxygen, or something like that, and when it was ripped out of their hand killing the patient...

http://www.mri-planning.com/articles...ars_after.html

4th paragraph tells the tale.
Old 20th March 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 89
xlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura about

Not a bad idea, I'll tyry that sometime.

I usually use a razor blade (standing on edge) to scrape over the area. Works pretty well.
Old 20th March 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

gamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura aboutgamhill has a spectacular aura about

[quote=FoxsterUK;1815232]... Gently remove the metal cover of the hard drive with a sledge hammer and chisel (or screwdriver if you want to pansy about)....

Good tip - You need to add the standard lawyer speak about always wear googles....
Know Thy Hog