The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Energy One Clutches
Figure Machine
Lickscycles
Biltwell

Lickscycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th January 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 77 xlcr
wedgeheaded is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My 2nd dumb question?

If this XLCR I bought were an old Dodge, I'd pull the plugs and try to roll it over by hand. Then, if nothing was stuck, I'd change the oil and filter, plugs, points, condencer, give it some fresh gas, and try to roll it over. Is there anything I've forgotten? Is there any special tricks for old harleys? I'd rather ask first of those who know.
Thanks guys,
Tony
Old 24th January 2007
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTD
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
superwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of light

I think you have it covered, I might check the primary before I started just to make sure there is nothing going wrong there. I am sure sombody else will have more suggestions.
Old 24th January 2007
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 61
Other Motorcycle Model: Superglide
Other Motorcycle Year: 74
MDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to all

Maybe a shot of oil down the spark plug holes soaking overnight before you turn it. Put it in 4th and give it a shove. But like superwarden says your ready.
Old 25th January 2007
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

After pulling the plugs and rolling by hand i would crank it with the starter motor and plugs not connected. Then go big.

Ya, and the oil in the cyls thru the plug holes let soak as already suggested. Also spray some oil in thru the intake while cranking [plugs not connected] - get some oil on the valves.
Old 25th January 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 77 xlcr
wedgeheaded is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea, this is good stuff. Little things people pick up over the years can make a big difference. The last thing I want is to damage a rare bike.
Thanks guys.
Tony
Know Thy Hog

Old 25th January 2007
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlcr
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Hardon sporty/norton hybr
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1962
Other Motorcycle Model: panhead
Other Motorcycle Year: 1952
waiteitei is an unknown quantity at this point

change the filter on an XLCR thats a joke, the factory forgot to fit one in the first place, if somebody has fitted one then you probably have got a good bike that somebody cared about