The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > BUELL MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Buell Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
Lickscycles
NHRS Performance
Sky Smith Insurance
S&S Cycle

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th January 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
Jason's Sporty is on a distinguished roadJason's Sporty is on a distinguished roadJason's Sporty is on a distinguished roadJason's Sporty is on a distinguished roadJason's Sporty is on a distinguished road

oops my bad, I was just thinking it was air because of the ram it uses, Also alot of drag cars use airshifters too.
Old 29th January 2007
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL Street Fighter
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Other Motorcycle Model: Norton 850 Commando
Other Motorcycle Year: 1975
Ranger Bob is on a distinguished roadRanger Bob is on a distinguished roadRanger Bob is on a distinguished roadRanger Bob is on a distinguished road

Honda did an auto-tranny back in the 70's on their 750 4-banger. It just never sold very well.

This prompts another question. Why can't we have a reverse gear. It's not rocket-science or expensive. Parking a serious cruiser on the downhill side of a steep hill can be a pain in you-know-where.

'Specially for us aging troops that live/ride in urban hill-country.

Regards,
Bob G
...who thinks the solution to the Iraq war is "Kill 'em All, Let God Sort Them Out."
Old 29th January 2007
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

It's kinda like buying a Viper, Corvette, or Saleen or Cobra Mustang with an automatic transmission what the hells the point. kinda takes the fun out of owning a hotrod!!!!!!!!!!

When life throws a curve...lean into it and open the throttle

The wind, weather, and two wheels...what else do you need??
Old 14th February 2007
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1999 Sporty
becket is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, new here and getting a ton of good info and pics, thanks! I have screwed up feet and ankles, and it sucks trying to get my boot angled under that flat 1979 shift lever. So I just took an old exhaust clamp bracket that wraps around the pipe to hold it with a bolt and nut, made an 'L' shape by bending it, and sealed it in that liquid rubber stuff you coat tools with. I just screwed the shift toe-piece through the hole in the end of the bracket and into the lever, and now I have a 3" flat vertical with a 3" left 90-degree turn in it that rides atop my boot. Just push down to downshift, pick up to upshift, never move my boot from the peg, and never move my ankle but a fraction up or down of what I had to before. I suck at the picture thing, hope you get the idea, It like an upside-down "L", I am just going to take a piece of scrap leather and cut it in a strip and glue it over the top of the bracket to make it look a bit nicer; hope this helps...
Old 24th September 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Sporty1112 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have mid mounts or front? If you have mid and wear boots, just rest your foot on the highway pegs and shift with your heel. the lip of my boots pull up the shifter nice and easy. Down shifting is even easier.
Know Thy Hog

Old 24th September 2009
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by xllent01 View Post
It's kinda like buying a Viper, Corvette, or Saleen or Cobra Mustang with an automatic transmission what the hells the point. kinda takes the fun out of owning a hotrod!!!!!!!!!!
I agree. Automatic transmission makes a sofa out of any high performance vehicle.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 24th September 2009
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883 deluxe
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1989
Other Motorcycle Model: CB 450 (honda chopper)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura about

just a thought here, you said you have a heavy boot, buy a lighter boot and be done with it.
1980 XLS sportster 1000, .030 over electric ign, accel coil and wires, s&s Super E carb, progressive rate shocks, quick bob tank and rear fender, custom wheels (21"frt), billet trees, drag bars, custom lighting, 2-1 exhaust, 82-95 controls, and probably more
Old 24th September 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: KaOtIkEvO 1200ss
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl883/1200SE
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: **unfinished**
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
KaotikEvo has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by xllent01 View Post
amen to that!!! I get ragged all the time cause I won't buy a hotrod with an auto. I use the manual setting exclusively in my 740, but even thats not the same without a clutch. Gotta love doing the growling downshift when pulling into the parking lot!!!!
Old 24th September 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

He probably got rid of the Sportster and bought a car with an automatic transmission by now...this thread is from Jan. 2007!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 24th September 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
N.Penley is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree with everyone. Automatics are for vans not bikes. ( Why doesn't Detriot know that 6 spd. trucks are in high demand). Anyway, my grandpa just welded a 1/2 inch rod to the shifter on his four wheeler after a tractor accident put him in a leg brace for life. He primed, painted and stuck an 8 ball knob on it. It works great and you can still use the foot shifter.

N. Penley
Know Thy Hog