The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > BUELL MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Buell Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
S&S Cycle
NHRS Performance
Licks Holiday
Get Lowered

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th October 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: none
Sportster/Buell Year: 0
jimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by xllent01 View Post
It's kinda like buying a Viper, Corvette, or Saleen or Cobra Mustang with an automatic transmission what the hells the point. kinda takes the fun out of owning a hotrod!!!!!!!!!!
I used to build muscle cars with automatics every time.
Set up right they are very quick and more consistant than a stick.
No one ever said a thing about my trans when all they could see were tail lights.
Old 20th October 2009
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyess333 View Post
No one ever said a thing about my trans when all they could see were tail lights.
Quick??

with less horsepower to the wheels..
Old 20th October 2009
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Heritage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Drag racers love the PowerGlide due to it's less hp loss vs. other automatic transmissions. I ran a 475hp 69 Camaro (street/strip) for many years. I ran it both with the stick and a TH350 with a 3500 stall converter. The stick was a tick quicker in the quarter mile but negligable. I loved the stick on the street though because it was just a ton more fun to drive. My left leg used to get sore after a night of cruising and racing though. In new sports cars a stick is just more fun. I'd say for road course racing the stick would be a huge benefit because of the additional gears to keep the rpms matched better. Circle track racers like the stick because they only run one gear and it provides the lowest loss of power.

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
Screamin' Eagle 10:1 pistons
Stage 2 883 heads
Screamin' Eagle .497" cams
Screamin' Eagle Mikuni HSR42
Thunderheader
Forcewinder
Old 20th October 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
JoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really nice

Chevy has the trunk monkey option. Maybe Harley should come out with a shift monkey option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCUBxgdKZ_Y

Last edited by JoeFriday77; 20th October 2009 at 16:25.. Reason: fix link
Old 20th October 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna Wide Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
Robotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by xllent01 View Post
Quick??

with less horsepower to the wheels..
Let me see you pull off a shift in 0.076 seconds...That's what my auto will do on a bad day...usually they are around 0.002 seconds.

Yea, there is a little more power loss but unless the person is a REALLY great driver the lower shift times will make up for the little bit of extra power that the manual puts to the ground.

Basically, an auto makes up for a piss poor driver like me. LOL That and my drag car was never offered in a manual so I was stuck with the slushbox. However, my Sky was a manual and my fiance's Mustang GT is a manual. Wouldn't have it any other way.
"why pay someone to screw something up when you can do it yourself for free?"
Know Thy Hog

Old 20th October 2009

jimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of light

I agree I stick would be more fun on a winding mountain road but I just don't see the point of it in the 1/4. Simply put, a properly built auto does it better.
Loss of power??.. build more power!
Old 20th October 2009
Super Moderator

Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Loss of power??.. build more power!
Those are my exact thoughts! MORE POWER ugh ugh ugh (said like Tim Allen on Home Improvement).
I liked drag racing at the strip better with the automatic. Even though I had a lot of experience with the rock crusher the automatic was still the more consistent transmission for bracket racing. And when racing like that consistency is what pays the bills.
Old 20th October 2009
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFriday77 View Post
Chevy has the trunk monkey option. Maybe Harley should come out with a shift monkey option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCUBxgdKZ_Y
Old 21st October 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu View Post
Those are my exact thoughts! MORE POWER ugh ugh ugh (said like Tim Allen on Home Improvement).
I liked drag racing at the strip better with the automatic. Even though I had a lot of experience with the rock crusher the automatic was still the more consistent transmission for bracket racing. And when racing like that consistency is what pays the bills.
"We want it louder, more power, I'm gonna rock it til it strikes me over...BANG YOUR HEAD"
Old 25th February 2010
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
dbwittkopf will become famous soon enoughdbwittkopf will become famous soon enoughdbwittkopf will become famous soon enoughdbwittkopf will become famous soon enoughdbwittkopf will become famous soon enoughdbwittkopf will become famous soon enoughdbwittkopf will become famous soon enoughdbwittkopf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
"We want it louder, more power, I'm gonna rock it til it strikes me over...BANG YOUR HEAD"
"til it strikes the hour"
Know Thy Hog